Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dig these knobs!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Craig Garfinkel, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    This may be the very first time I clicked on a banner ad and actually purchased something. Very glad I did.

Roger at THG Knobs is making me these for my Ken Smith Black Tiger 6. He's done work for Carey Nordstrand and others, and the work is just stunning. He's a true "artiste" IMO.

BTW, if anyone who's not clueless about posting images within the post, instead of an attachment, please do so...and thanks.

:oops:

2. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Oh and btw, that's tiger maple for the base, figured bubinga tops with a 22 carat gold insert on the side. All to match the bass perfectly. :D

3. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  5. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Ooops.

Roger informed me those are actually snakewood tops in the photo. They look awesome, no? But mine will be figured bubinga to match my bass.

I think this is such a cool way to "personalize" your bass without doing so in a drastic or potentially tacky way.

You Roscoe owners should consider talking to Roger (maybe even Keith himself), if I may so boldly suggest. I've always thought those basic p-bass-style knobs, although fine and functional, detracted somewhat from the absolutely gorgeous tops and fingerboards he uses.

6. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Roger makes incredible knobs. I have been VERY satisfied every time I get some for my basses.
    He has even worked with me on my own smaller custom shaped knobs so they go better with my design.
    For that finishing touch on your bass they are a great investment. They might seem expensive, but the attention to detail makes them worth it in my opinion.

7. for those of us, late to the meal, where is roger of thg knobs located, Please!!!!!!

8. Noaita

Noaita

Jun 6, 2003
    Shameless booster guy.
  9. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    they're kinda expensive, but not so much when you consider the price of the the bass you're putting them on. Rodger does great work.

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Wow... those are nice knobs. Better'n skulls and dice.

11. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Hey G...that's a pretty nice lookin' bass you bought to go with those knobs! :cool:

12. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Craig, you're right about the Roscoe. Those black knobs are the pits. They don't even have any markers on them. Will THG make the concentric knobs too? Man, I may have to add something new to my holiday shopping list. And THG is practically next door. Definitely worth a checkout. Thanks for the heads-up!

13. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Check out the site (link above), there are some great examples of Rogers stacked knobs. :cool:

14. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    all dirty jokes aside, roger makes some great knobs, and is an amazing craftsman. he has helped me out immensly with my new found hobby called knob making :D

if only there were people in australia that couldnt understand they they NEED to spoil their bass and create its true character by buying some custom knobs. :rolleyes:

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Kirbs get ready for an order from me. Those Alembic pickups I won will eventually get a home and I'll need four knobs, preferably the same timber as the bass. Once I decide which bass/timber to buy, I'll let you know.

16. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks!,

I imagine your smith doesn't look half-bad either :D

17. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Schweet! no problem man, happy to be a help!!

18. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    I'm very pleased. Next post will be a pic of them on the bass. Next week when they arrive.

:D

19. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Roger's knobs go on all of my basses now...

The latest set for a u-retro:

20. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I dig my THG knobs, mine are flame maple and walnut bases, with spalted maple caps.

see the attachment