1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Digging a hole to China (antipodes)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by elgecko, Oct 18, 2013.

1. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Growing up, it was a widely held belief that if you started digging a hole and didn't stop till you got to the other side of the earth, you'd end up in China.

I finally checked and no, I wouldn't have ended up in China. I'd have ended up in the Indian Ocean, somewhere between Madagascar and Australia. :eyebrow:

How about you?

http://www.antipodemap.com/

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    It appears that you'd have to start your hole in South America to dig to China....unless you make a left turn at Albuquerque.

3. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    It's a good thing you didn't do it. All that water would have gushed through the hole and flooded you out. Plus, you would have drained the Indian Ocean dry. They might have made you pay to fix it.

4. surgay

surgay Banned

Sep 27, 2013
    That's how I get such great carryout. :bag:

5. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Growing up, fairly near Perth, Australia (though still in the ocean). Now, near the French Southern and Antarctic Lands (in colder ocean!)

6. Ned Starks Head

Ned Starks Head Yis, actually.

Sep 25, 2004
    Charlotte NC
    Pretty cool.
    I'd end up a few hundred miles off the western coast of....

250px-Gene_Hackman_Lex_Luthor.

"Australia."

7. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Blah...I would be off the south-western coast of Australia. But you know what would be totally cool?
    You dig the hole all the way through (where there would be land on both sides of course), then you jump into the hole and BAM perpetual motion machine! Up down, up down.. or would it be down up, down up??

8. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    You would oscillate with Simple Harmonic Motion, with gravity acting as the restoring force always accelerating/decelerating you toward the centre of mass of the earth.

Ask your boy ;)

9. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I wasn't trying to dig a hole to China, I was trying to unleash a fiery magma filled tortuous end upon those around by tapping into the molten liquid center of the earth.[​IMG]

10. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Did you have a Nomex suit or was it a Kamikaze mission?

[​IMG]

11. Spain.

12. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    They say Spain is pretty though I've never been. You're the first poster to make landfall! :hyper:

13. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I hadn't planned much past the agonized screams and the inopportune apologies I would've been receiving for not letting me watch Diff'rent Strokes.

Too late now mom and dad. Too late now.[​IMG]

14. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    As a kid my friends and I were diggin a hole in the backyard. His dad asked if we were digging a hole to China?

We told him that would be absurd, it took us like a week to get about 5 feet deep, and then we hit an old sewer pipe. We covered it with a tarp, and if any of you would have seen it you'd likely think we were running some sort of terrorist cell.

That 5 foot deep hole was pretty friggin awesome, though.

15. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I was looking for the Sand Wizard from Roverandom. Never did find him.

16. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I had to Google that...was it necessary to listen to Led Zeppelin while you were digging?

17. slobake

????
    [​IMG]

18. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Zepp had tons of Tolkien references (e.g. Ramble On, etc). The two are one in the same in my head! :p

19. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    You'd lose a little bit every time and eventually be stuck in the middle.

20. slobake

Yup , The Battle of Evermore is one of my favorites.

"Bring it back, bring it back, bring it back."