Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digging bass body..

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by withdevil, Apr 26, 2005.

1. withdevil

withdevil

Apr 23, 2005
    Dallas,TX
    Hi, I am thinking of making a bass into P/H like amerikan deluxe precision,.,. mine its a P/J configuration bass(ESP B50) so i think i need to move the bridge down some more (looks cool and spaces) and make a humbucker space. Then it will have some screw holes caused by moving the bridge.. Does it affect the sound if the body has holes in it? Is digging the body part expensive?? Thanks..

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Moving the bridge will ruin the bass. It is placed there in order to obtain the 34" scale necessary for the frets on the neck to be in the right place. If you move the bridge, everything will be out of tune.

Don't move the bridge.

3. ShamrayBass

ShamrayBass The Bass Custom Shop

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    leave the bridge where it is, just "dig" your hole in the other direction!

Chisels are cheap - a half decent one wont set you back more than 20 bucks :)

4. withdevil

withdevil

Apr 23, 2005
    Dallas,TX
    thanks guys but.. what is chisels? does it mean i should just leave it alone? or does it make no difference at all?? T.T
    I guess i should make a soapbar(humbucker inside) on it to be made unique keke..,.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What we're saying is if you decide to put a humbucker in where the jazz pickup is, do it in a way that you don't move the bridge.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would say you ought to send it to a qualified luthier, or risk butchering your bass. If you are not familiar with woodworking, you probably ought not do such a project. You could just find a different pickup that is a humbucker in a jazz size pickup.

7. withdevil

withdevil

Apr 23, 2005
    Dallas,TX
    thats true.. I wouldnt butzher my bass and i would send it to some shop to do it since im kinda newbie and..hm i just wanted a humbucker look so looks like a killer because never heard that p/j rules.. i want a real deep tone and very low you kno wat im saying.. Is pup positions doesnt really matter? like pup spacing with other one.. I heard bass sounds depends on some vibrating position ..dunno

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Most of the signature sound of many basses are due to the placement of their pickups. If you are looking for a certain sound, you could share with us the setup you have, and maybe we can point you in the direction to get the sound you need without heavy modifications.

9. withdevil

withdevil

Apr 23, 2005
    Dallas,TX
    hm thats what i thought.. some artists use complicated pup setups..'_' well my bass is p/j and bridge j looks kinda near to the bridge.. my setting is just stock now (ESP B50) and the sound i want is like..um p bass sound + more deep version. I dont need some high end or round highs.. i want bassy until an octave maybe;; if possible ..

10. I've had basses I've liked the feel of, but not the sound of, and I've had basses I liked the sound of, but not the feel.

I'm not going to say you can't get your bass to sound the way you want it to sound- but it's more cost effective to find a bass that you like more all around and changing pickups than routing 15 different routes between the end of the fretboard and the bridge.

If you're really set on this...

You could seriously screw this bass up forever...

And you're going for a "P-Bass Sound"...

And you've got the right pickups selected...

Measure the distance from the 12th fret to the 3rd fret.

Measure that distance from the 12th fret towards the bridge. That's the approximate spot you'll want the pole pieces in your pickup rout to be.

I really wouldn't do that unless you're prepared to permanently wreck your bass.

You asked. :ninja: