Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digging in, or sounding like you are anyway

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Is there anyway to make it sound like your really digging in?

I love the tone i get, but, my playing just goes boobies up, out of time and into a mess

So, is there anyway to cheat at getting that sound ? (dont know if this should be here or not)

2. Play with your volume and tone. I like to get that sound too, you just have to play with your settings to get it.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Soloing the bridge pickup and adding lots of treble should give you some growl without too much elbow grease.

4. Im afraid neither of those options have really worked :(

Shall just have to learn to play that way!

5. Wolf

Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Israel
    "Diggin' in" is relative. The best way to approach this is to
    lighten up your touch in general. Gary Willis can sound like
    he's down-right shoveling while exerting less force than
    I would playing 'normally'. Lighter gauge strings can make
    a hell of a difference. I use 30-85 for this reason alone!

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You know, there are ways you can sound sort of like you're digging in while not really doing it, but there's no substitute for actually digging in and getting those strings to rattle a little.

So instead of looking for ways around it, look for ways to master it. Start with easy basslines and hard basslines slowed down to half speed. Gradually build yourself up to faster tempos and harder songs. Concentrate hard on not clacking your strings into the neck and pickups, but put some force into the string and make it rattle. Or even raise your action a little if you get too much rattle. It won't kill you.

7. Yeah thats what im planning on doing :) (cant right now, burnt my fking finger!)

And wolf, i dont like lighter strings because they just dont have the meatyness, they always sound hollow to me (probably wrong terminology there)

8. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Get a set of TI Jazz Round strings. They are so light, and so floppy that you can't help get that nasty, digging-in thing going. I had to take them off my Geddy Lee Jazz as they were too aggressive that way!