1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Diggler would've been put away for life.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by syciprider, Jun 9, 2007.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    They do indeed. Lots of people believe in various forms of "animal rights" too. They, too, are entirely theoretical. But philosophically important to many (myself included).

2. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    No. They believe that we should all have those rights. They know better than to believe we all have them.

3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Good point there. Please take that as read in my last post.

4. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    Sorry, but your previous comment about the US freeing up France was nothing but a cheap shot because you're angry and have nothing else to say. You and I both know it so cut the horsecrap :)

And no, I'm not angry one bit. I didnt expect anymore from you ;)

5. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Endorsing Artist: Red Zone Effects
    Dead-on balls accurate.

I certainly hope not. Because if *every* person currently in such a situation agrees, then there is no hope of a leader rising up who will work to overthrow the oppressors and improve the lives of the people. Or, maybe, we should just go back to colonialism in Africa and slavery in the US, as these people probably didn't believe that they'd ever be able to exercise their rights, either? Well, I'm fairly certain that the descendents of these people are very happy that their ancestors didn't think like you!

Because, if you don't believe in the rights, then there is nothing to defend or fight for.

6. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    Sorry, but you cannot compare colonialism or slavery in the US with the situation of some of these countries overrun by guerillas and corrupt governments.

7. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Again, you're kidding, right?

8. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Cheap shot? I thought it was history. No I'm not angry. Did I call you by any names? I like having toys and diversions and I won't do anything to drive you away.

9. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    No, I'm very serious. I've spent all year studying journalism, and I know quite well the situation in those countries. They're just not comparable. The level of poverty of both the states and the population make it so even if such a "charismatic leader" were to come forward he/she wouldnt be able to change anything, to make himself/herself heard, and would probably be killed so quickly we wouldn't even hear about him/her in the first place.

Thats the way things are. Isn't that the very argument for the war in Iraq? How can you not understand such reality?

10. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    History not relevant even by a long shot to the current discussion - thus a cheap shot.

Do I bring up how you americans are all mass genociders for using the A bomb every 3 seconds in topics that have nothing to do with it? Nope, I sure dont :)

11. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Basically, I think you're saying that you're a defeatist, while I am an optimist. If that makes me naive, so be it!

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    True. It's authoritarian and totalitarian thinking. In many otherwise free societies some people are actually sympathetic toward authoritarian/totalitarian actions by their own government (or others), as long as they are directed at others. These can often be wrapped in the mantel of "order" or "tradition" or "security."

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The difference with the french revolution was that they were being oppressed, and they were using the firearms specifically to fight said oppressors. Escalation forced them to defend themselves with such firearms.

Although I can honestly say I don't worry about encountering any pumas any time soon.

I'm with Mark on this one. RTBA is a political right granted to American citizens by the consitution and a body of men, recognized only in the US. It is not, however, a universal right. The right to life and the right to defend said life against attackers is a basic human right, but this is not the same as the RTBA.

IMO, owning a firearm may be a right to US citizens in the US, but otherwise, it is a privilege through and through, much as driving, air conditioning, and a nice house.

14. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    Not at all. I'm as much an optimist as you are in this case. This isnt a question of optimism vs pessimism, its a question of knowing what the situation in such countries is like.

15. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    are you refering to the us?

16. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    And, once again, peace reigned over the land... :smug:

17. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    :D you know, 99% of the people agree on everything, we just say it all differently and argue for hours about it just to reinforce our mutual opinions ;)

18. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    And, because it's fun... :D

19. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    Well, that's whats fun about it :D Also we get to take cheap shots on each other's countries and the likes. Gotta love it :D

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021