1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Diggler would've been put away for life.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by syciprider, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    No kidding, how did he work that I wonder? I had to change to IT to get a job.

2. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Endorsing Artist: Red Zone Effects
    Wow. Just, wow... :rollno:

There statement is such an offense to logic, I don't even know where to begin.

Maybe an analogy?

It used to be illegal in the US to teach black people to read. Some people did it anyway and were put in jail for it.

So, I guess because some people were convicted of teaching black people to read, it wasn't a stupid law?

Dude, did you even bother to think before you typed that?

3. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    He never said he got a job using his degree. I'm guessing...

McDonalds? ;) :p :D

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Selling ammunition to some random guy you don't know and the right to basic literacy are not the same thing.

For a guy in the US, say, one of his guns breaks down, gets too old, he doesn't want to fire it anymore because it's a collection piece now and he doesn't want it to wear out (lots of people have family heirlooms like that.) He's got some ammo. His good friend happens to have a firearm or two that can use this ammo and he enjoys going to the range, so the guy with the ammo sells it to his buddy for a decent price (not giving it away, ammo's expensive and he paid a good price for it in the first place) but a reasonable one nonetheless.

This is a very reasonable and logical thing to do.

A member of the armed forces (former or presently) selling ammo to someone he doesn't know -- which is bloody obvious, since the guy turned out to be an undercover cop -- against the law in a country where guns are strictly regulated and unavailable to the general public is an entirely different thing.

Saying he should be able to do this based on the 2nd ammendment (which, by the way, doesn't apply in other countries) is really stupid. And soulgeezer, as much as I like you lately, comparing it to not letting black people read is even more stupid and frankly "playing the race card" IMO. The two subjects are completely unrelated.

5. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    In an earlier post I said that the soldier broke the law and should be punished. I never said the 2nd Amendment applies in other countries. I merely said, in my opinion, the law that he broke was a stupid law.

I grew up in country where the 2nd Amendment does apply. Because of this, I believe that gun ownership is a right. Therefore, when I hear of countries in which gun ownership is illegal, I tend to think such laws are stupid.

Saying that a law isn't stupid merely because it is being enforced (the argument of the person to whom I was replying) is just plain wrong. That was the only point I was making. No playing of the "race card" -- Just finding another example of a stupid law that was enforced for a very long time (and trying to avoid references to Naziism).

I hope this clears things up a bit...

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Cool, man. It's all good, I understand.

7. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    But if guns are banned, then who cares how much ammo is available? I mean, bans made all those evil weapons go away right?:smug:

What good is free gas when you don't have a car?

I just got back from the range. Man, 600 rounds of ammo weighs A LOT. Thank goodness I didn't have to carry but 50 of them back to the car.:hyper:

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    :D

9. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    I'm just counting the posts until a connection to Hitler and Nazi Germany pops up.

...Aw damn.

10. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Check my parenthetical comment at the end of post 45...

Godwin be damned! Be damned, I say!!!!! :D

11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Stupid is a case of perspective. That's all, really.

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Wishing :)

13. What I meant by that is that if you call the cops they are there within a decent time. A few guys on here have said that they arm because the cops don't show up for a long time. eg, pizza delivery is faster.

From what I've read there cops reponse with guns is very fast to an incident.

14. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    How can you argue that the banning of guns is a stupid law? :eyebrow:

It is designed to make guns a lot easier to get hold of, and yes, you can get hold of guns illegally, but it is a lot more difficult, and if you are caught with a gun, you get punished for it. The argument that many Americans use is that they have guns for 'home defence'. However, if you look at the statistics, in America, many more people are killed by guns, and instances of robbery etc are not lower. If you didn't all have guns, then all that would happen is that less people would be killed by guns. How can you say that not having guns is stupid?

15. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Noj - I totally agree with everything you say BUT: You're fighting a losing battle. Just give up. It's easier that way.

16. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I enjoy arguments though... :D

17. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Their target is 7 minutes, which is pretty good :)

18. I think the point being missed here by heaps of people on this thread is that this topic depends on where you live and what the LOCAL laws are.

The meaning of "context" may be of some use in this topic.

Everyone should only play Stingrays cause it works best for me.

19. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Can we not use Sterlings instead?

20. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Or, there's alot of over reaction going on to the wanton scattershot usage of the word "stupid".

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021