Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digidelay or Echo Park? Or some other Delay for about the same coin?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassin' 'Round, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    What do you guys say?

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Digi Delay is all the delay I'll ever need. Lots of folks like the Echo park over the bigger and fancier Line 6 DL4 too.

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Echo Park

4. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Doesn't the Digidelay miss a convenient tap tempo feature ?

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Only if you didn't read the manual.

6. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I recently got an echo park, and like it alot. It's super tweakable. You can get some insane delays out of that pedal. I've only began to scratch the surface of what it can do.

7. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    giga delay..

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Echo Park for sure. Soo many features and soo easy to tweak them.

9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Two features that really have me thinking about the E.P. are the different time-signature tap-time settings, and the 'tails' or 'trails' or whatever that is, that let you stop new processing, but keep what's already in it running (the equivalent of turning off the effects SEND on a board, but leaving the RETURN working).

Now that I've started looping, I have that Echo Park on my mind. That, and the Boss RV-5.

Ooo..

Joe

10. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    '80s Ibanez DDL. I picked one up from Ebay for $64 shipped. Amazing delay pedal that sounds great and can be had at a really low price.

11. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Well, I just did.

And yes, it does miss it. It's the same thing as on the DD6, you have to hold the switch. Which is very not convenient, because it can't be bypassed during this operation.

So I would go to the Echo Park, though it's a bit too complex for what I need. The Tap tempo feature is too important for me.

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    It's not inconvenient to me nor all these folks with Boss/Digitech delays.

13. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I find the tap feature on the DigiDelay and the like (Boss' DD6) to be really annoying. If you want a tap tempo Id go with the Echo Park. Also Boss' DD5 has the option of adding and external footswitch for tap tempo.

14. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    That's why there is many different models out there ! ;)

Old_Skool : yep, I'm in fact currently hesitating between echo park and DD5.

15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    A music store salesman just told me that folks are complaining about the Echo Park's tap. It's set up so you tap lightly for 'tap', and crunch-down hard on it for bypass.

I can see how that would take a little getting used to. I tried it, and it seemed pretty nice, though; you can still feel the 'clunk' through your shoe when you step hard, and the lighter tap-function works over a pretty long 'travel' of the pedal, so it's a pretty distinct difference.

Joe

16. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    You know, when I got mine, I felt retarded. I was like "HOW THE HELL DO I DO THIS?" but about 2 days later, it was easy as eating Oreo Cookie Pie.

The reverse delay function is super fun for Primus stuff. :D Here's a clip of me playing My Friend Fats.
    http://media.putfile.com/My-Friend-Fats

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jacques has a delay ready for production. He's just looking for a NOS of BucketBrigade chips.
    Live and expect. :)

18. Nova

Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    I have the Digitech Digidelay and can't imagine needing more from a delay. I liked it more than the Boss delays, though I haven't tried the Echo Park out.

19. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    If you are set on getting a Line 6 EP, you may want to wait until Turkey Day sale. GC blew em out for $90.00 in the last Labor Day weekend sale. Also, a lot of geetard folks in Harmony Central found that it does not play well when sharing a power supply with some pedals so plan on the possibility of getting a dedicated wall wart for it.

20. I like my digidelay, I think it sounds great but I must agree that the tap tempo is pretty inconvenient.