Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digidesign Digi-001 Computer Recording System

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Gabu, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Is it worth $640?

This is the musiciansfriend.com link:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/search/detail/base_id/51405/rsrc=00990

But if you would rather, here is the gist of MF's text:

A complete 24-bit plug-and-play digital audio and MIDI workstation. Hardware includes PCI card plus breakout box with 8 analog inputs, 8 analog outputs (2 XLR, 6 - 1/4"), 8 channels of ADAT optical I/O (usable as 2-channel optical), and 2 channels of coaxial S/PDIF I/O, all 24-bit resolution. MIDI in/out. Footswitch jack for QuickPunch recording. 2 additional monitor outputs, plus a headphone output with separate volume control. 2 of the analog inputs include mic pre-amps with gain control and 48V phantom power, reducing the need for an external mixer. Includes Pro Tools LE software for recording and MIDI sequencing with Real-Time Audio Suite (RTAS) plug-in architecture plus Windows XP support. Both hardware and software are made by Digidesign, so compatibility is guaranteed. Upgradable to a Pro Tools TDM-based system. Easy to use without an intensive learning curve, so you can begin recording right away. Not compatible with Celeron chipsets.

2. OMG yes, i've used this piece of equipment so many times and it is just an excellent piece of hardware, top of the fact that it has dropped it price by about $350, and it's a steal.

3. James Eller

James Eller

Dec 12, 2002
    UK
    Yup, to answer your question, it's worth every last penny. I've owned and used it continually for 2+ years.
    IMHO protools is by far the best audio editor there is, though if super advanced midi programming is important to you, Logic may be a better choice. It's been unbelievably stable for me (on an apple G4). I've completed several album projects, edited a major label single, and done many tv and film sessions (via the internet) using it.
    Being a complete package from one manufacturer is a big advantage and also the online help at the user conference http://duc.digidesign.com/ is fantastic.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.
    Regards. James.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'd get the aardvark q10 instead, they're only 100 more and have 8 mic preamps.

the digi 001 is nice but when the aardvark is only that much more and has the ability to mic a drumset using just it and 8 mics...