Digidesign M-Box

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JPGT, Dec 12, 2003.

1. JPGT

Aug 19, 2000
    Carlisle, PA
    I am looking to get into computer recording (just basic recording/editing stuff, nothing too fancy), and I have seen a few ads for the Digidesign M-Box ( www.digidesign.com ). This thing looks like it might meet my needs pretty well, but I was curious if anyone had any experience with it and its included software. It comes with Pro Tools LE, SampleTank, Ableton Live, AmpliTube, T-Racks and Reason Adapted. Also, if it matters, I am running Mac OS 10.3 on a 500 mHz G4 with 1.25G of RAM.
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I would be curious to read of others' experiences with this as well, since I'm considering an MBox too.
  3. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    I have an MBox and I like it a lot. I'm running the Windows XP version of ProTools though so I'm not sure about the Mac specs.

I'm very happy with it overall. It's easy to set up and get running. ProTools is a pretty powerful piece of software and I am a long way from having anything other than very basic skills but I didn't find it too difficult to find my way around it.

I have recorded vocals, acoustic guitar and my bass through it so far and been very happy with the results for the vocals and guitar. I don't think the pre-amps in it do much for electric bass...I'd suggest getting a DI of some kind to 'massage' the tone a bit before it hits the interface.

Overall, I think it's a pretty good way to get some small-scale home recording done. It is pretty expensive though. You could do a search in this forum and check out some of the suggestions from people like JMX (and the rest) who are very knowledgable about this topic. :)
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I have one, and I've been using it for about a year. I have a 667 mgHz G4, and it works fine with that. I upgraded my memory to about 700 someodd, wich does help speed Protools up a bit. The only problem I've encontered with it is the MBox itself is pretty fragile. My cat knocked it off my desk the first week I had it, and it split in half. I was able to tape it back together, but just be careful if you get one.

I did this song wholly with Protools and Reason:

5. The MBox is probably the highest quality digital recorder in it's price range and works with the home version of the most professional recording software that is currently available- ProTools LE 6.2.2. I have had one for almost a year and am extremely pleased with it. The pristine audio quality and the relative ease of use make it a very wise choice for home recording and non-simultaneous multitracking. For simultaneous multitracking(recording multiple channels at once) it is terrible only because it has two inputs. Overall, the MBox is an excellent product that can be effectively used as a high quality recording I/O and should be considered only if simultaneous recording track count is not a thing of importance.
  6. I have a similar setup: Mac G4 733 w 1024 MB RAM, an MBox and a Glyph Drive. If you're not worried about having more than a few inputs, you'll get a really high quality level of recording for a relatively low cost. I've never had a single issue with the MBox, works flawlessly. Do yourself a favor and pick up a matching Glyph drive (Firewire). Works great for video too.
  7. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I've done a little more research (and poured over a ProTools book that explored the MBox among other things) and it seems like it would be the perfect setup for a one-man-band such as myself. I've read about some latency issues (the 164 samples thing for one) but also workarounds for them. My PC should be able to handle it as well with no weird compatibility issues (Pentium IV 2.4GHz, 1 gig RAM, pure Intel-manufactured motherboard, extra 20 gig hard drive, Windows XP)
  8. SeeSharp

Sep 26, 2002
    I don't have an MBox, but I do have a Digidesign 001 which I love. Anyways, if you do get the MBox, make sure you pick up "Producing in the Home Studio with Pro Tools: Second Edition" by David Franz. It's a great book and has helped me out a lot. Good luck.