Digital Camera Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marlat, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Okay I kow there are a few camera techo guys on here, so I thought I would cast the line out and see what comes back.

My GF just bought a new camera for our trip to Burma / Vietnam in a months time. Anyway I thought it might be prudent to by a second battery in case the first one goes flat right when we are about to take a prize winning shot.

THe camera is a Pentax that takes the D-L17 battery, which I understand is equivalent to a Fuji battery and a Canon battery (just with different model numbers). Anyway the retail on the Pentax direct replacement in Australia is $110. On Ebay there is one that is $7.90US:

So im thinking, okay the cheaper one might be slightly more dodgy, but just for use in emergencies, would it do the job? Are there any inherent risks in using "third party" batteries like this?

I assume there is potential warranty issues.

I thought I would ask here before heading off the the digital camera forums (im not a member), but a search of those forums (that I could find) didnt turn up too much. If anyone knows where I can get information on this it would be appreciated.
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    just sue it

:D ;)
  3. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    For the cost of initiating proceedings against a company in Hong Kong I would have a new digital camera or two! :D
  4. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

carry on, carry on

here's a bump

5. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts

$110 for a Battery???? When I first read your post I figured that the $110 couln't be right, but I don't know about the market in Australia and how the $$ convert. I would avoid the $7 battery not because it will damage your camera (it MIGHT, but thats unlikely, more likely it won't hold a charge or Worst Case it's voltage will not be stable and the camera would malfunction, but return to normal most likely after it was repalced, and possibly corrupt your memory card which would need to be re-formatted). I found some online places that had 3rd party batteries for $15US and Amazon has the Real Deal Pentax for $35:

Being that it's a rechargeable battery my suggestion would be to get a second one (but find it cheaper than $110) and rotate them (i.e. charge them both, put (1) in the camera and use until it's dead, then switch to (2) and charge (1), use (2) until it's dead and switch to (1) and charge (2), and repeat) This lets you run the battery down all the way before recharging, which will help it last longer, while not leaving you high and dry when it dies. We do this with all of our cameras and our batteries last for about 3 years (with only 1 battery it will likely last 1 year or less becuase of incomplete cycling).

Post back if you can't get the battery any cheaper than that (You could also look at the Fuji or Cannon batteries, or another equivalent made by a reputable manufacturer like Panasonic or Duracell or such, but at least stick with a name brand, and pay more than $20.
  6. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I just read something that may or may not apply to your situation. Apparently, a lot of cameras share the same exact battery type, but with different, proprietary contacts. So, I'd say to be *sure* that the battery is compatible with your camera. I've heard nothing bad about aftermarket batteries for digital cameras, so I wouldn't expect your second battery to be inferior. I would say that extra batteries are an absolute MUST! :)
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

I'd be down for helping out as suggested.

9. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Thanks for the offers guys. I will check with the boss when she wakes up and get back to you. That may be a good option because a lot of places dont ship these things overseas!