Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digital Camera Question...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mz91, Jul 11, 2005.

1. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Im thinking of buying a Digital Camera...

I saw a Minolta Dimage 7i on the net for $240. But this thing came out in 2002. I could buy a new Canon (powershot) with 5 Megapixels for $285.

I was wondering what was better value for money.. An old Digital Camera that USED to be the sh** :D .
    Or a new one that is pretty middle class?

Anybody here on talkbass know their stuff in terms of digi cams please help me out!

thanks

Michael

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I've got a Cannon Powershot S2 1S and I couldn't possibly be happier with it. It does everything I want it to, and a whole lot more.

3. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    While megapixels are important, the lenses are more important. A 5 megapixel camera that can't focus well or has chromatic aberrations due to the lens isn't going to give you better pictures than a 3 megapixel camera with an excellent lens.

Your best bet would be to hit www.dpreview.com and look up reviews and user comments on the cameras you're interested in purchasing. dpreview is an excellent site and conducts thorough reviews on the cameras they test.

4. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Both cameras are great, Excelent Zoom Range, Ability to shoot RAW format, nice features. I would recommend staying away from the used Digital Camera market, there are a lot of things to go wrong on these things and you have no idea how it has been handled. All things being equal, 3 years is an eternity in digital camera evolution, so I would assume that the Cannon would be a better camera due to 3 years of advances in image manipulation controls, but I have no direct experience with either model. WillPlay4Food's comments are right on the money but from basic appearance, both seem to have a nice large well constructed lens (unlike a lot of those cameras with lenses smaller than a dime) so I'd bet that both lenses are of decent quality.

I'd stronlgy suggest sticking with the new camera over a used one any day.

5. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    I LOVE my PowerShot S500 I got for graduation. Tiny little guy (able to pocket w/ a protective sleeve), and takes GREAT pictures

I'd look into that, or the S/SD410, which is also a great camera from what I hear (SFF as well)

6. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I just bought a new Olympus recently. 10x optical zoom, 4 megapixels. I really like it. Go to www.cnet.com and check out the reviews there and go with their suggestions. That's what worked for me.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    My wife and I have been happy with the Casio Elixim we purchased a couple months ago.

-Mike

9. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    thanks for all the replies guys,

as always very helpful information!

Mike