Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digital camera ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

So, all I want is one good enough to take nice full-length and closeup shots of my basses... nice enough to satisfy most potential buyers.

Consumer Reports and others say that 2 megapixels is plenty for all purposes except very large photos... others say if I buy 2 mp now I'll buy 3 later.

Thoughts?

Feel free to post recommendations, but I'd prefer not to spend much more than $500 so perhaps this limits me to 2 mp. TIA

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hard to go wrong with the inexpensive Olympus models...a used 1.3MP Oly D-340 would suit you well for under $200!

If your main reason is email and web photos, even 1.3MP is overkill, IMNSHO...

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

So, I could go with fewer megapixels and more features. That's good to know... thanks, HD!

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have the Sony Mavica. I liked it because it stores photos on cheapo 3.5" disks instead of those media cards. Very easy to use, share and transfer.

It takes good photos. I think it is a 2.3 mp.

Chas

6. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
  7. FrolicHoek

FrolicHoek

Nov 14, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Do yourself a favor and get at least the 2.1 MP. It is really good for those closeups, especially if you are trying to show good deatil about a specific aspect of a bass.

If you buy a 2.1, this shouldn't be a problem, but dear sweet Jesus, please get a flash on it. So many people buy the crappy digital cameras that don't have a flash, then wonder why their pics look terrible (not to mention that the res is 640x480). Just make sure those two things are taken care of, and you should be in the clear.

Oh yeah, as a side note, try and get USB, not serial. Unless you want to wait an hour for the pics to download....