digital camera

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Yvon, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    We will buy a digital camera pretty soon. We are looking for something in the average price range.
    Right now, we are interested in the hp 812 and the canon A70. Anything we should look for? avoid?

Thank you!
  2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have been using a Nikon Cool Pix 800 for about 3 years now. It's a very versatile camera for still shots and family.

It comes with all the software to load the images into your computer, as well as the option of expanding the memory, and lenses.

At the time 1999, it cost me about $500.00. I don't know if you consider that a "mid-range" price, but depending upon how particular you are, it may or may not be the best purchase.

There are a few good sites online to read about digital cameras, but they can be lengthy, and prepare to see alot of "head-scratching" terms as far as function are concerned.

Whatever camera you get; read the manual, and then read it again for best results.

And buy RECHARGEABLE batteries. If you use the camera alot, this will save you $$$$$$$$$!
  3. Wil Davis listed two of my favourite sites for digital camera info. Three other mandatory sites for camera reviews and info:

Imaging Resource

DC Resource

Check out DC Resource for good overviews of cameras. Check out Imaging Resource for in-depth technical reviews plus more photo samples. Both sites will highlight the strength and weaknesses of each camera.

Other considerations are the cost of batteries and a larger memory card. I spent an additional $100 on 8 NIMH batteries + charger and $128 on a 128mb memory card (it's about $1 per meg). You may want to buy a soft-carrying case as well.

I'm busy at work right now but I can post some more information regarding specific cameras later.
  4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC cameras....(dreaming of a Canon 1D)....
  5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    thanks guy, I puted all the links in my favorites. I watched them a bit already. We will most probably buy the Canon A70. They will receive it next week. I can't wait!!