Digital Mixers

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Vic Winters, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Can any of the current lineup of digital rack mixers be controlled with a laptop or are they all iPad only?

2. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I've got a Presonus 16R that I control with MacBook Pro. No built-in wireless capabilities, connectivity is via Ethernet or USB-C (or Thunderbolt 3). You could also use Ethernet to connect to a router - then use whatever wireless device you choose. Software is available for MacOS or Windows. I don't see tablet options.

3. jaco944

jaco944 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2005
    The latest Mackie/Master Fader update finally added Android and laptop control.

musicman7722 likes this.
  4. all models of x32 can be controlled via laptop, either hardwired or over WIFI

Dp1363 and s0c9 like this.
  5. bwildt

bwildt

Mar 21, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    All of the Behringer X-Air line has the X-AIR-Edit program with versions for Windows, MAC and Linux. I prefer the X-AIR-Edit program to the tablet apps.

danster, MasterG and Ethereal Thorn like this.
  6. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Since those that do require a direct connection to the console, sort of defeats the purpose of having remote access, and I would only use as a backup, not primary controller!
    Most work fine with an external router and tablets.

7. X32 can be controlled from a laptop over wifi. I know someone that does this with a touch screen PC as a mixing surface. I personally like to use this for quickly typing in scribble strip names and other console setup tasks.

Dp1363 likes this.
  8. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    True.. done that myself, but I don't want to lug around a laptop and find space for it at FOH or on stage.
    I can do what I need to do from a tablet, mixing FOH (when doing that) and mixing my IEM's when playing.
    True, both can be done via laptop.. but.. tablet is so much easier, cuz I don't want to walk a crowded venue with a laptop!
    YMMV

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    jon mccumber likes this.
  9. isn't it nice that we have so many tools available these days

SoCal80s and s0c9 like this.
  10. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Indeed.. choices, choices....

11. thumbknuckle

thumbknuckle In Memoriam

May 23, 2012
    Westfield, MA
    The Soundcraft UI stuff can be run by anything with a web browser. We have a Chromebook hooked up to one at an install, in case the wifi gets dodgy. Works fine.

Allen and Heath appear to offer the Mixpad app for the SQ mixers for both Windows and OSX, as well as iPad and Android. Never tried but that's a really great mixer and the iPad app is very nice.

CTBassGuy, Toddbass65 and Plectrum72 like this.
  12. The XR18 can be controlled with almost anything. I use a laptop with a touchscreen sometimes.

13. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Thanks everyone.

14. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    And it works well. Also, the Mackie DL16 series has an app for Mac OS that works great. Like their iOS app.

15. Dp1363

Dp1363

Jan 8, 2011
    South Jersey US
    I have a X32 Rack that I run on a MS Surface. The Surface is like a tablet but with the full Windows software OS. The X32 Edit laptop controller software is different than the IPad version. The laptop version of the software looks more like a real mixing desk. You have access to more of the controls on the main screen.
    X32 Edit on laptop
    35FE2DF5-B97E-4908-8B60-FAF84F1FFE7B.png
    X32 Edit on IPad
    9C578E6A-0F42-417B-A88E-AAB870F1DB2A.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    s0c9 and One Way like this.
  16. All the Presonus mixers can be controlled from laptop, tablet, or phone, via wifi router.

s0c9 likes this.
  17. Soundcraft Ui is amazing on any platform with a web browser. I’m sure other brands are as good, I just don’t have experience with them.

Bassed in NZ likes this.
  18. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'm willing to bet you won't find a new digital mixer that can't be run by a laptop

all i can think of is the now aging mackie DL1608

s0c9 likes this.
  19. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    All Yamaha board are controllable by iPad and laptops

s0c9 likes this.
  20. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Most every MI digital console I have worked with over the past few years have been able to be controlled by tablets and PC’s. @walterw’s DL1608 and maybe the QSC TM8(?Silly usb dongle) are the only ones I recall.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021