Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digital Mixers.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by CROZ, Dec 17, 2000.

1. Anyone have any experience with digital mixers.

I don't think I'd use the automation features because I only use my mixer for inputs...my software does the mixdowns (automated, too). My soundcard has really good A/D converters also... So I don't really see the advantage in it for me.

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    go analog then.
    I used the Yamaha O1V and it's cool, good compressor, good effect.
    I liked it.
    Not the best, but for the price I think it's a great one.

For analog I worked with a&e GS3 and it also sound good. Not too expensive either.

3. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I have 3 mixers,1 analog and 2 digital.The analog is a small Mackie,the 1402 VLZ,and the digitals are the Roland VM3100 Pro and the mixer on my Roland VS880EX.There are other advantages to a digital mixer besides automating a mix,one of the main ones being that a "snapshot" of the settings can be stored in much the same way one would store a patch in a synth or FX unit,so that one could go back and forth quickly between 2 or 3 different tasks without having to write down where all the knobs were each time or stick little pieces of tape all over the place.This is obviously more important in a situation where time is money especially when numerous varied sound sources are in use.Another is sound quality.Digital boards tend to have flatter frequency response and less crosstalk than equivalently priced analog ones,and they generally offer more EQ and routing options than their analog cousins as well.But if you're just going one or two tracks at a time into your soundcard,you won't miss most of these things.