Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digital Multitracks vs. PCs

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bigwan, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi Guys,

I'm wondering if any of you guys can help me...

Recently I've been doing a bit of recording to my PC via my Johnson J-station using Cakewalk's Guitar Tracks software (I'm using a pretty up to date PC with Athlon XP processor, 512Mb RAM, Soundblaster Audigy Live soundcard, CD writer, etc.)

Now I'm thinking of getting a little more involved in recording demos for my band, etc. I was just wondering what you guys thought of the little digital recorders that are becoming so popular at the minute? I like the portability of the stand alone recorders, and their apparent simplicity, but would I be better off just expanding on my current computer based set-up?

I'm looking at a ZOOM MRS-4 4 track digital recorder and ZOOM MRT-3 drum machine (which I can buy together for under £300 sterling)... realistically are there any PC based tools that I could buy for this sort of money that would offer similar flexibility? I'm not expecting Pro Tools!

Cheers

Ian

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

You'll get many more responses in the "Recording Techniques" folder.

3. Well, Pro Tools and those little multitrackers may have something in common - bad audio quality. ;) :D <-- note the smilies.

I'll back off that one as it opens a can of worms you can look up on your own...

When you're dealing with digital audio, one important step in the process (as far as equipment goes) is the quality of the analogue-digital converters. You can generally get a lot more for your money in a PC than you can in a portable.

Although there are good buys in the audio recording world, the saying usually holds true - you get what you pay for. I find this especially true on your recording medium, unless it's Pro Tools. ;)

4. Isn't the number of XLR inputs a concern? When I was doing my research, that was a major complaint (given my low low price range).

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Just get a mixer.

Then, record all your mic's into one track. i was tihnking this is really good for recording all at once, or a drummer that likes a good deal of mic's.