1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Digital Patterns, Enclosure Patterns??

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jsllim, May 2, 2010.

1. jsllim

jsllim

Feb 5, 2009
    9c
    Hello All,

I tried searching but no luck.

I was sent an email response from a guy about different ways on practicing minor pentatonics, well any scale. But he was telling me all these different ways of practicing them and he mentioned digital patterns, and then later said something about enclosure patterns. Now i haven't emailed him back because he's very busy and well i dont want to bother him again. But what are digital patterns and enclosure patterns? If anyone could please explain this to me it would be greatly appreciated. :help:

Thanks,

JSllim

2. never heard it described like that.....a pentatonic box,maybe.......draw a diagram of the neck and fill in the notes of a given pentatonic scale and you can see the shapes

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Never heard of either. Avoid patterns & learn music instead.

John

4. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Digital patterns are 1234 2345 3456 or 1423 2534 etc (or ACDE CDEG etc) in other words various sequences

Enclosure would be patterns such as Bb G# A in other words various methods of landing on a target note from above and below. this can be done with chromatic notes to the target or scale step above, then chromatic note below, then the target, in A pentatonic minor this would be C G# A

Coffee has not kicked in, hope this makes sense.

5. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    I'm not that busy, ha!

Here's your answer.

To elaborate a bit, digital patterns are patterns that rely on assigning notes of a scale (or arpeggio, or whatever) a number, and then rearranging them in as many ways as possible. The "standard" digital pattern is 1235 for major chords (CDEG on a Cmaj7) and if you would believe Jerry Bergonzi, 1345 on minor chords (CEbFG on C-7). John Coltrane was the first to really popularize this way of looking at improvisation because it gives the improviser a vocabulary for navigating very complex chord progressions (Countdown, Giant Steps, etc). You can also expand this concept to more static/diatonic harmony, sequencing a major scale in a 1235 pattern (1235, 2346, 3457, etc) or any other kind of digital patterns (1352, 3152, etc)

Enclosure patterns are a bebop concept. The concept is similar to that of an approach tone. An approach tone targets the chord tones of a chord with notes that are a either half step/whole step above or a halfstep/whole step below. So on A-7, an approach tone pattern might be "Db-C" - the Db targets the C, which is a chord tone. With enclosure patterns you play both an ascending approach tone and a descending one to the same chord tone, thus "enclosing" the chord tone. So on a C7 chord you might play "F# - Ab - G," with the F# and the Ab enclosing the G, which is a chord tone of C7. It can be either a half step or whole step. Read a bit more about this stuff here.

What is music besides patterns? Patterns are vocabulary. How can we speak music without a vocabulary with which to speak it?

6. Patterns for Jazz - by Jerry Coker

7. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Your coffee is better than mine!