Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digital Piano recommendations

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Nov 17, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm looking for a full size digital piano as a christmas present for my girlfriend. I was wondering if any of you guys have any thoughs/recommendations for me. I'd like to keep it under $500. $300 would be ideal, but from the minimal research I've done that looks impossable. At least new anyways. I'm not opposed to buying used...as long as I'm not buying somthing thats gonna break on her. So a warranty would be a cool bonus.

Here's one she was checking out the other day at GC:
    Casio PX-300

From what I could tell this looked like a good one. It sounded pretty good too. I liked this one cause it has a sequencer built in.

The features that are absolutely necessary are:
    -88 weighted keys
    -A good "real" acoustic piano sound
    -Midi compatable
    -Line in/out

The features that would be cool extras to have, but not necessities are:
    -Nice assorment of sounds
    -Pedal jacks
    -Built in Effects
    -Sampler
    -Sequencer
    -Decent drums

Weight/portability isn't too much of an issue...Its going to reside in our living room. So, Any thoughts/recs would be extremely helpfull :)

2. A couple years ago I bought a Roland F-100-BK digital piano for my wife. It's not a Steinway, but she says it's the best piano she has ever played and the best Christmas gift she has ever received. I paid, $1100 otd, but I have bought several thousands of dollars of guitar and bass equipment from the shop over the past 5 years and typically get an excellent price. I was looking in the $500 to $800 range, but the keyboard guy told me to get the F-100. Since he is my amp tech, sometime guitarist and good friend I took his advice. I'm glad I did. I don't know much about pianos, but I can tell you that my wife has been ecstatic about the Roland for the past two years and she highly recommends them to everybody. I know they make some less expensive models.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I bought a Casio PX-100 to learn some keyboard skills last year. I thought it was a good deal at $500, since weight/space is a priority with me and the only other keyboards that have graded piano-like action sell for $100-200 more and/or are a b*tch to move around. It also has a rudimentary sequencer and the cheesy Casio accompaniment functions. There aren't a lot of extra features beyond that, but if she's a piano player rather than a gadget-hound, she won't care.

Note that Casio's just upgraded the sound chips in these - there's a PX-110 now that sells for $500.

4. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Cool, good suggestions guys. I'll take a look at the Rolands.

The casios seem like the best value i've come across though.

5. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Casio ... ugh. You want a nice weighting on the keys. Virtually all the 88-key electric pianos that are good are going to cost around $1000, and I think you don't really want to go lower. Roland and Yamaha design their own keyboards (and I think have the best feel). Everyone else uses Fatar keyboards (OEMed). I like the Yamaha P120 ... really the best overall package, and you can MIDI it off to a rack synth if you want more sounds (I use a Kurzweil PC2R ... I like their sounds, but not their keyboards, or for that matter their reliability or usability). Roland and Korg both have very good offerings as well ... but shop around, and maybe defer until after Christmas when prices drop

6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

My friends has a 10000$ digital piano. It's pretty cool. It has lots of stuff buit into it. I think it's by Yamaha.

7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Fatar Studio SL880 Logic Midi Controller, 88 fully weighted keys, no sounds built in, it's a controller which means you'll need a sound module.

8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I'd suggest Kurzweil, but I don't know if they have anythign in that range. the cheapest electric piano I've seen was about 600 CAN. and was the Casio or an Adagio (DP-8 I think) they were decentish. The Adagion would not be my first choice though.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Forget Casio. Try this Yamaha DGX 505. I got one for my daughter at Price Club (Costco for those not in the know), for $539, I think. Over 400 sounds and excellent piano sounds.

10. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I had one of this series of MIDI Controllers (I think SL1200).... it broke and I had to throw it out. The Fatar feel and touch programmability were great, but I didn't think it was as robust as the Yamaha or Roland systems.

11. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I really don't like their keyboards at all ... and Kurxweil is unreliable. They do have the best piano sounds, I think

12. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Forget everything previously mentioned. You want to get her an old 70's Crumar.

13. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Right on. That looks great! Price is good too.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I appreciate all the help...I realize a professional quality digital piano will run me $1000+ but thats double what I wanna pay and it's really not necessary in this case.

14. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
  15. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Wow, that sounds amazing. Not enough keys...but at that price I might have to buy one for myself .

16. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    what exactly do you mean about reliability or usability?