Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

digital pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zachharas, Nov 24, 2003.

1. zachharas

zachharas

Nov 24, 2003
    If an electric bass has digital pickups...would it then be considered an electronic bass?(as opposed to an electric bass)

Your thoughts?

Zach Haras

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There are no digital pickups.

Anyway, you can call it both, at least it is so in German, but electric is much more widely used.

3. zachharas

zachharas

Nov 24, 2003
    Hmm...huge differnce between an electric instrument and an electronic instrument. Like a Rhodes/Clavinet(electric piano) and a Synth(electonic piano).

I'm not a bass player, but I was just wondering what your thoughts were about this.

Zach Haras

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    electric according to Webster's

electronic

5. these might be considered digital pickups, yes? no? :confused: :bassist: :D

6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
  7. Try taking a picture of someone playing one of those up close with the flash on..

8. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    No.

Read the how it works -section:
    "As the string vibrates, the size and shape of the shadow changes accordingly and modulates a current which passes through the photodetectors. This current is the basis of an analog electrical signal which represents an accurate depiction of the vibrating string."

I think it might be quite easy to make a digital version of lightwave, though.