Digital Power Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sdguyman, Feb 9, 2005.

1. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    Does anyone use one? I keep seeing these poping up but they advertise them for DJs. Has anyone used them to amplify their system?
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Digital does not refer to the amplification, but rather the control on the amp. You cannot digitally amplify a signal, but you can digitally modulate one. For playing bass, your preamp does this so you do not need any digital controls.
  3. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I don't get it then becuase all of them that I have seen are a single rack space size and the put out some serious watts. For exampt 800+. I like the size and the weight. They average like 10 lbs.

Are these power amps not suited to amplify instruments?
  4. The way I understand, this statement isnt entirely right.

Digital is a technology being used for power conversion. They've used this technology is car audio for a while now so they can get more wattage out of a smaller amp.

Has nothing to do with the control. In most cases, a standard solid state amp and a digital amp will have the same controls: a volume control for each channel.

Yes, these digital power amps would work for a bass rig with a good preamp before it.

Edit: Example:
  5. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    It's a bit of a misnomer, "Digital" is a name given by marketing departments to Class-D amps and amps with a DAC on the front end. Although it could be argued with some class-d amps that they are 1-bit Delta-Sigma ADCs, it's best just to call them "Class-D" or "Switching" amps.
  6. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    Is there any cons to them?

I see a ton of pros to them but what about cons?
  7. The switching class D design results in more noise than a Class AB, but the class D is smaller, more efficient, and should still produce less than 1% THD. I was running a Class AB amp to the sub in my car and I recently switched to a Class D (Phoenix Gold X400.1) and it sounds a little dirty to me, but the gains are set to the max because my HU doesnt put out enough signal, so I think that is why.
  8. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Cons: Harder to design. Produces radio interference if badly designed. Some cheap models sound bad.

Pros: Very light. Generally cheap per-watt. Well designed ones sound very good
  9. dont

Jul 25, 2004
    I don't pretend to understand the electronic intricacies here, but I use a "switching" amp---a Crest Pro 200 8200---and it sounds great. It weighs 25 lbs., and is rated at 2250 watts per channel into 2 ohms---and no, that is not a misprint. I use a 4 ohm cab on each side, with the potential of 1450 watts for each cabinet. Obviously I have a tremendous amount of headroom, which was my intent when I decided on my rig. I have my ultimate rig.
  10. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Holy Crap! I have a Peavey Databass (one of the first "digital" bass amps). That thing is as loud as a full stack. It crushes! Only a 15" speaker too. I'm not a fan of the tone, but it is quite the combo. I could use a SABDDI in front of it if it was my only rig though.

The main problem is that is has 2 volume settings and that's it. Low, and ear crushing!

11. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    And how bout the new class T stuff? Anyone?
  12. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Just class-d ala Tripath, nothing more than a trademark.