Digital Programable Amp ?s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by timidbassist, Apr 4, 2005.

1. I searched and couldnt find anything real relevant on this. What does anyone know about these programable digital amps like the Yamaha BBT500H? Does anyone have one? Anyone used one? Do they have a good tone?
    Any info would be awesome!
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
  3. I own one.
    It is really good, it is the BEST amp to shape your sound EVER.
    At least in my opinion.
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Would the Ampeg B500DR fit your bill?
  5. I have looked into it. It doesnt seem to have all the features that the Yamaha one has, but i deffinetly could be wrong. Which one do you guys think would be better? I have yet to see either of these amps in any stores so cant try them out. There isnt much info on Ampeg's site on that amp either, so i dont really know what it has for features, although i will download the manual. Are there any other ones out there? Do these things actually sound good, or are they just something people like because they are lighter, smaller and more convienent? Your guys' help is greatly appreciated!
    PS. I could have looked harder i guess haha :D
  6. VifferMike

VifferMike Registered Four Banger

Dec 10, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    The 500H is the only all-digital programmable head on the market, to my knowledge. Yamaha uses that as a selling point in its advertising for it (at least they did around NAMM time). I'm sure some other companies will follow Yamaha's lead in the next year or two ... maybe. Yamaha is known for taking chances in the music marketplace, many of which crash and burn -- even though the product is first-rate (remember the NE-1?) -- because they don't market them properly.
  7. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Have you looked at the Peavey BAM?
  8. No i havent, but i will google it now :)
    Thanks everyone so far for your replies, you rock! :bassist:
  9. Looks like that Peavey Bam only comes in a 210 combo, i guess i should have specified i want a head. I would like it rack mountable even though i know the Yamy isnt..
  10. jazzmann23

jazzmann23 Guest

Sep 11, 2002
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I think Ashdown is releasing a digital programable amp that will be @ Musikmesse this week. It may not be for sale for a while but it looks cool, it's on Ashdown's main page in the upper right hand corner. It's called "Superfly".
  11. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Sam Ash's website had some BAM heads a couple months ago... I'd be surprised if they were all gone. On the other hand Peavey did discontinue this line for some unknown reason, one of the best amps I've ever seen or played through bar none. I like it better than my 400+.
  12. Are these amps digital as in the power output stage or for shaping sound or both?

Ive noticed that there is a few brave manufacturers that are finaly spending some r&d on these. They just have to get past the ignorance of buyer thinkin that because they are light, don't have 20 output transistors and don't have 30lb transformer they can't be good.

There is another thing to consider. The digital power amps can be noisy sometimes as they can have their power output stage occilating at over 400khz which in some cases will drive other gear nuts. The class D type. Like computers running sequencing software etc. Some are not and are very clean and very grunty.

Most of the other power amps like QSC are using class H output which are again lighter and generaly used for very high power. These are usualy a really good amp design.

I'm just interested in the amps you guys are talking about. They sound like these compaines are starting to finaly get away from old tech non efficient amplifiers.
  13. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA

The yamaha is class D amp stage with 48k/24bit digital DSP for tone and effects processing.

During my demo, I've done several on the same instore unit, I noticed some odd buzzing or fuzzing of notes, especially using my aguilar GS112 plugged into it. I heard the noise through my tweeter, but maybe my tweeter is bad. I did not hear the buzzing on the yamaha matching 110 cab, but THAT tweeter does hiss more than I cared, at least in the store at quiet volumes. the 110 sounded big asside from the hiss.
  14. That's cools, the class D has a lot to offer. There is some amp modules I've been looking at in kit form that are the size of a credit card. Two bridged produces 1400WRMS at 4ohms and 750 at 8. Amazing and they are down to 0.01 THD now.

The class D is really getting better every day. I'm not supprised Yamaha are using them. Meanwhile the QSC class H stuff does great stuff too.

We don't get to see the yamaha stuff here much. Pitty.

Still we can get all the eden gear easy. Funny that, given your location.

15. What means with Different "Class amps"?
    Like Class D?