Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digital SLR Camera

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by danqi, Dec 25, 2004.

1. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    I plan on getting a digital SLR camera. It's gotta be SLR because I want to feel like a professional (and learn). It's gotta be unexpensive because I am no professional (under 1k). Unfortunately, I don't really know what's out there. Any suggestions?

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    You want to FEEL like a professional? There are some very good digital non SLR's that have every feature teh SLR's do, minus teh swappable lenses. honestly, unless you plan on getting multiple lenses or hooking the camera up to telescopes or something, you probably don't need an SLR. However, if that is really what you want, there are a few good options.
    Canon Digital Rebel- between $950 and $1200, depending on lense and package
    Nikon D70- $1,000 to 1,200 dependingon lens and package
    Pentax ist DS- $1,000 with zoom lens

Other than those, there aren't many SLR's for under $1,500. You can go up to $30,000 if you want to, haha. If you don't get an SLR, than Fuji's S5100 and Nikon's Coolpix 8700 are worth a look as well. They are very good cameras packed with features.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    New in your price range, I enthusiasticaly suggest the Nikon D70. IMO, it blows the Canon Digital Rebel out of the water. (The DigiReb is a decent camera - it's just a little too dumbed down for a serious amateur IMO.)

If you're willing to consider used, a clean Nikon D1h, a minty Canon 10D, or a minty Nikon D100 would do the trick.

What are you planning on shooting?

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hmm, since I´m a Canon Rebel/300d owner, I highly recommend it. Just now exactly what you expect from your camera and what you want it to do. I spent over two months researching what camera to buy. I weighed between the Canon 10D and the Rebel. After much delibiration I decided on the 300d and I haven´t regretted that moment since I bought it, I´ve used it now for nearly a year and I´m very happy with it.

And last but not least....
    Do not, I repeat, DO NOT choose a brand because this and that one looks good right now. When you are getting into the field of (d)slr's, always choose your camera from the range of lenses and accessories available.
    Both Nikon and Canon lenses are very good. Nikon is a wee bit better in the wide angle area and Canon a wee bit better on the telephoto area. In general there is more selection available of Canon lenses and they are cheaper then the Nikons. Also take in mind the available selection of flashes and so on.

I recommend the Canon range, but to each is his own.

The reason why this is important is that the real investment in the long run is in the lenses, digital bodies come and go but the lenses have a much, much longer lifecycle.

For some indepth research I recommend webpages such as www.dpreview.com Read your eyes out please :)

Have fun in the world of digital photography, it´s awesome!

5. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    I don't think you'll be able to find a D70 for under $1k. I do know that you can get the Digital Rebel with a lens for around $900.

The D70 is supposed to be the best d-SLR in that price range of $1k-2k i believe; I'm not too sure about that.

good luck

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What you want is the Nikon D2X, scheduled to hit the street soon. The body will set you back about $5K.

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    As I said in my post here above, focus on the lenses and accessories.

Canon and Nikon will take turns to up each other. There will always be a better camera from the other one every 6months/ every year. So, focus on the lenses, not the body. :)

8. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    Used is an option, but I wouldn't buy a camera via eBay, only from someone I know. No idea if or when I get an opportunity.

Uh, does "whatever is interesting" count as an answer? Seriously, I have no specialization and no interest in getting one.

9. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    I didn't look at it this way before, seems to make sense. Good advice.

10. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    :rolleyes:

11. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Ressurrecting an old thread instead of starting a new one. :)

Anyone have a Nikon D70 digital SLR camera?? If so how do you like it?

I've been toying with upgrading my digital camera for awhile now. I currently have a Canon G2 4.0 mp which has been and still is an excellent camera. But I'd really like to step up to the next level and go digi SLR. My buddy is selling his Nikon D70...and I'm thinking about buying it. Hes including the following items:

Nikon D70 camera kit and lens
    Zoom Lens
    1GB Compact Flash card

All for the low price of $650. I'd be a moron not to buy it huh?

12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I've got a D70 and I'd jump on that deal if I didn't already have that and more! An exceptional value, steet price new after rebates on what your looking at is about 1200$ US

13. I recently bought a Nikon D50. It's a bit cheaper than the D70.

I absolutely love my cam. It's VERY quick, and takes GREAT shots. The D50 and the D70 are both 6.1MP cams.

You can check out reviews of ALL the cams out there at www.dpreview.com. It's a great site.

If you have any other questions, PM me. I'd be glad to help out.

14. I missed that whole part...... I agree with burk! I'd CERTAINLY jump on that deal. Excellent price, IMO.

15. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Forget digital.

For one thing they don't provide you with a negative, I.E a hard original copy of your work.

And second they always have that STUPID delay when you take the picture. They also eat battery power like you wouldn't belive.

Go with a 35mm camera. A good photographer can do things with a cheap old 35mm the same, and even better then a photographer with a 2000$ plus digital camera. And you have the negatives to last you forever.

16. I just got (or my wife did - she's so cool) a Rebel XT.

I friggin love it.

My semi-pro photographer sister has a D70 I believe, and basically bought it over the Rebel as it had a metal body instead of a plastic one like the Rebel. Thought it would be sturdier. No such luck when you drop it! That was a 500.00 mistake I don't imagine she'll do again!

17. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm thinking I'm gonna go for it. Its really a tremendous camera.

The Canon 350D Digital Rebel XT is a sweet looking camera at an excellent value. Thats what I was thinking about getting...until today. The Canon is higher MP 8.0, but by the time I get the lens and accessories I'm up over the $1000 mark. I'm thinking if I offer my buddy $600 cash he'd probably do it.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Canon 350D vs. Nikon D70?

18. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Bad, I'd love to agree with you, but unless your shooting fine art photography for galleries, their is almost no place where digital isn't a better value. When I go to shoot a band at a local club, I've got 582 shots in my camera, on those shots I have unlimited control of EACH FRAME, I can change ASA, Color balance, flash balance, and file size for each individual shot. As far as speed with a D70 unless your shooting fast action sports the differences are negligible. I can shoot 3 FPS at full resolution. Is that fast enough? And if I'm doing a shoot for a client, I can email him jpegs in a half hour! And batteries are no issue at all, the D70 is rechargeble.

I will admit that for fine art nature photography, I can get better results with my F100, but film and developing cost verse my already paid for 2GB cards has got me thinking. Not to mention the fact that I can get very good prints at home with photoshop verse paying 15-20$ for an 8X10 (reversed process). Theirs also the storage issue, have you ever tried to file and maintain 10000 color slides? And negatives, I can't even imagine the storage issues.

19. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Burk are you a professional photographer?

I disagree with the above staement for my needs. I'm a Graphic Designer, but i love photography. I use a digital camera alot for my work, and the professional level camera really allows me alot of flexability. From shooting my work, to being able to shoot high res images for print production. It allows me to do my own photography quickly without being bothered with developing and scanning. Which saves me time and money in the long run. However if I'm doing a job that requires professional photography...then I hire a pro.

Anyways...I just offered mt friend $650 if he includes the sweet backpack/camera case he has for it...I'm waiting for his response. (fingers crossed) :D

I have a feeling it will be mine this weekend. Now to break the new to the woman. :help: ;)

20. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    After having gotten some experience by now, I can see how true this is. If you have an SLR and use it, you will acquire more and more lenses over time. And after a while the money you spent on those will dwarf the amount spent on the body, which will be outdated in a couple of years anyway. The lenses won't.