Digital vs Analog. Let's see what McCartney uses.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by syciprider, Aug 7, 2005.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    In the Live @ Red Square DVD, you can clearly see the Line 6 stomps.

I recognized the DL-4. There was another one that was blue.

Gee, a famous musician whose songs were recorded "back in the day" feels that the digital stuff is good enough to share the stage with him?

Maybe analog is overrated? Some of it is definitely overpriced.
  2. Just like nearly everything else in the world, you are paying for a brand name not the actual product :D

but some people fool themselves into thinking they need analouge, if it sounds good, use it.
  3. Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    He can use analog pedals when recording?
    And digitals on stage?

Maybe ??
  4. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Or maybe it's just one musician's preference?
  5. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    He probably uses the Line6 units live because of their convenience with presets and portability... much easier than having a huge board of analog effects to tap-dance on, especially since someone like McCartney is no doubt more focused on his vocals than bass when performing (the majority of the audience won't notice a bass screw-up, but a vocal screw-up is much more obvious).

How bout everyone just uses what they LIKE and stops arguing about it? I have analog and digital effects, and use them together sometimes. Whatever works!
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I don't think Sir Paul is a gearhead.
    My guess is that his tech(s) show him stuff he may like, and the either uses it or not.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My thoughts exactly. People like Sir Paul have the luxury of having people do all the research, and pick a few potential products... or even better, they get the sound Paul wants and tell him how to use it.
  8. i really dont think he uses any effects, those line 6 stompboxes must be for his musicians, or in case it;s hims he uses ot ith guitar, he always plays bass clean
  9. Maybe analogue is unreliable! I wouldnt want to gig with analogue pedals...
  10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Paul wants digital sound then?

Maybe he knows something...
  11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I didn't say he was using them. His guitarists were. And they sounded good. I said he shares the stage with them.
  12. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    It's all personal preference.

I've got a geetarist friend who runs his guitar through his laptop, then a mixer and PA for all kinds of effects. He likes the tone. His cousin runs an all-tube rig with a couple analog effects. Go figure, he likes it.
  13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    You are basing a whole debate on analog versus digital on whether or not a person uses one or the other?

And in this case the person isn't the effect user, but rather his bandmates?

Want to help me? My neighbor won the lottery, now he used a quarter to scratch his ticket. But, and this is a big but, my uncle knows someone, whose brother who scratched with a penny and they won more money. So obviously pennies are the way to go right?

I thought so. But I just wanted some of your powers of deductive reasoning behind me on this one.

Thanks bud.
  14. Man, your so right. I'm going to trade all my analog gear in and get a line 6 pod and a variax. I bet if jacko was still alive he'd be using one of those Digitech BP200's. I just wish I would have realized this sooner. :smug:

Digital delays can sound good yet at the same time are very diferent than analog. The key with those 2 line 6 pedals is versatility. They are in the end however mostly just 'emulating' vintage analog gear and therefore do not actualy sound 'better' by any stretch.
    The trick is to know what the diferences are and how to make them work for your purposes.
  15. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Edited. Uncalled for.
  16. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    It isn't uncommon for some people to prefer the convenience of digital pedals over the purity of sound of an analog pedal, especially live. Both have their advantages and drawbacks.

I don't understand what the controversy is supposed to be about.

17. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Live and let live, homies.
  18. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Agree to disagree then.

19. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Peace. And accept my apologies for my previous remarks.
  20. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    maybe when using a digital desk, you know the signal will be converted later, so no one will actually hear the analog signal.

Also since the concert was for a DVD it will be converted for recording into digital.

So if the pedals were analogue; the only person hearing the true signal wold be the one hearing his stage amp.