Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digitech Bass diver overdrive/Distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    I just got back from guitar center (boston and danvers, MA:D) and I picked out the Digitech bass driver for christmas. And heres what I have to say.

wow.

I am extremely impressed. First of all, heres an awsome feature: Its 3 things in one: Its an overdrive, distortion, and super fuzz all in one. you can change the distortion models my the morph knob. the blend feature is my personal favorite, it lets you accurately adjust the amount of wet/dry in the effect. and this thing reproduces your tone pure as gold. it doesn't plasterize your tone like most models do. I compared it to the boss overdrive, and it beats the crap out of it. also if you set everything light, it makes an awsome growl effect, almost like an overdriven tube pre. point is, for 79.99, it is definately, IMO, the best single distortion stomp box. ........except for the EH graphic fuzz :p
    Check it out here

2. Ok...but it's digital right? How can a digital fuzz/OD/distortion not not harsh? The morphing feature sounds very cool and having a RAT with a blend would be fantastic but......digital? I dunno..

3. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    Um, not trying to dis or anything, but did you try any others? My local GC had all the new Digitech bass pedals set up in a display to play and I messed with them for a couple hrs(my local GC's bass department is usually very deserted, so they actually encourage me) . The only ones I thought sucked were the OD/distortion and the compressor. Try the Ibanez PD7. Much richer sound. I was quite impressed by the synth-wah and the delay. Digital distortion never seems to measure up.There's my 2-pesos.

4. New bass-specific RAT "The Juggernaut" will be available this January...that from Proco sound's owner. Should be great.

5. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I heard that, my brutha! They had the info on their site for a while and then they took it off. Is it back on? I was scared that they decided to scrap the idea.

6. Naw...the Prez said it is to be released at the winter NAMM..I am so excited!! He was cool enough to send me back a "thank you" for that silly "RAT III" design I sent him, you've probably seen it posted B4, just fun.

7. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    That's awesome. Juggernaut.....!....YAY!!!! I haven't seen your RATIII. I've only been poting here a couple days. I used to post on HC but I got tired of all the mindless banter. Not that mindless banter isn't good somtimes, but there's WAY to much on that forum. I hadn't gone on any forums in about 5 months and then I found this place. Being a bass effects wankmaster, I couldn't resist! I noticed on your profile you like Nomeansno and you live in BC. Did you catch any of their recent shows? Do you know if there's gonna be any US tour dates?

8. This is by far my favourite bass site...great group o' folks.
    Here be that RAT of mine;

[​IMG]

Who knows? Maybe the new one will be close...!!
    Yeah, we gigged with NMN lots in the late eighties/early nineties. My old drummer from our old punk-jazz trio Shovlhed ended up in their dual drummer line-up for a while...that was something let me tell you. Ken also was the Hanson Bro.s drummer for a while. We had been going to crazy basement and all-ages shows with them for ages. so it was great when they sarted getting all the recognition and everything; Rob was even in BP mag, hilarious! If you like them check out "Incentive records" here in Victoria and also the "Konkurrel" in Amsterdamn who distributed many Victoria bands (incl. us +NMN) and also much of the AT stuff in Europe. Haven't gone to a show in quite the while I am sad to say. They just played too. They are still an amazing live act but maybe I am just a little numb to them these days. Lotta history...
    take 'er ez!

9. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    Love the Rat! That's funny. Cool deal about playing with NMN and all that. I be jealous. I've been a long time fan but I've never seen them play! Just one of those bands that I always manage to miss and it's starting to piss me off! I even almost drove up there for their most recent show but I just couldn't find the time and money.

10. Oh no...you _have_ to see them live. It is unlike anything else you'll see; passion, power, pathos...all the cliches ring true. Mr. Wright's bass tone will make your hair stand on end; electric. He has that total Lemmy-tone. Actually, his sound is fairly relevant to this thread. I'd guess that a Fulltone Bass drive would most closely cop his P-bass into Marshall guitar cab tone, no? John W. produced our Shovlhed album; http://aperson10.tripod.com/shovlhed.html
    Hey..I LOVE Portland! Go Blazers...or something. I hope you have an idea of how lucky you are to live in such a hip town. So many terrific micro-brews..oh baby.

11. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    Yep, that's what everyone says about seeing NMN. Dammit! I will DEFINITELY not miss it if they play Portland or Seattle. I've never had the fortune of playing the Fulltone but, my MIM P-standard into the Ibanez PD-7 gets a very Rob Wrightish sound. It's that "attack' switch on the PD7. I think the PD7 is the best bass OD/distortion for the money by far. I did have some issues with the clean setting as mentioned in my thread about it, but the noise seems to have mysteriously gone away. Might have just been a bad connection somewhere or something but I'm keeping that thread up just in case anyone elese has experienced that problem. Yeah, Portland's pretty good. I think I'm all beered out for now, though. I'm actually considering moving up to Vancouver BC a lot lately, but I should probably go there first! Do you like it better than Portland?

12. Guess this is getting a little off topic but oh well...
    Vancouver is not nearly as hip as Portland or Seattle. It has it's own charm i 'spose but everytime I travel over there the first thing I want to do is get back to Victoria. It is a tad snooty IMO (SMASH might have something to say about this...) and trys to hard to be "LA north" or something. In comparison, Seattle and Portland are a bit more accessable and "people freindly." Something to do with money and the arts i'm guessing. I love Canada and would never move but both your cities are far more hip in terms of the arts, food and culture. Way cooler IMO...now, if only you could do something about that foreign policy stuff(!)
    ;)

13. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    Foreign policy? You mean "we do what we want, so go F yourselves" isn't good foreign policy? I'm shocked and offended by your insinuation! ;) Didn't you know that we can do no wrong? We have to stop the evil-doers!:p
    :)
    Thanks for the info. I'm gonna come check it out real soon.

14. Hahaha! Don't worry, we LOVE America! You guys are (mostly) swell! Come on up...
    PD7; what other boxes did you try? Do you play fingerstyle or pick? What style do you use it for? I like to use my fuzzes for deep synthy square wave effects. What is up with that clean mode anyhow and what didn't you like about it?

15. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I've tried the BOSS, DOD, and Digitech bass overdrives and thought they sucked and sucked hard. I have'nt had a chance to try any of the higher end ones yet. I hear good things about the Dredgetone and I emailed the guy about a custom one and he said no problem. So, I'll probably get the Dredgetone next. I use the PD7 mainy to get that Lemmy-esque sound when I play fast hard stuff with a pick. I also play slap and fingerstyle with it sometimes. One of the few od/distortions that will let the dynamics of slapping come through. It's all about the attack switch on that thing.

16. Bah, I had high hopes for the Digitech. Haven't tried the PD7. Hmmm... Think I'll just hold out for the Juggernaut.

17. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    I tried the pd7, the boss overdrive, the big muff, the proco gitar rat, and the digitech. I loved them all, but through my personal preference, I wanted versatility. I'd like a nice thick fuzz, and then the next minute, a light papery distortion with wah. I guess its just a matter of personal preference.:rolleyes: