Digitech Bass Multi Chorus vs Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KeithBMI, Oct 2, 2005.

1. For my first effect, I would love to get a chorus pedal. Is this a good start for psychedelic music?

I was looking at the Digitech Bass Multi Chorus and the Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus

What are the pro's and con's of each of these models? Is there something else I should be looking at?
  2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Digitech has multiple modes, but the Boss is a bit more straightforward. I like the Boss, but if you can, just sit down with both of them at your local music shop and see what floats your boat.
  3. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    IMO, the Boss has a warmer sound while the Digitech sounds more "hi-fi". It's really a matter of preference. That said, I own the Digitech and am very pleased with it. Good luck.
  4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The Boss sounds so .... 80s.

But that's what I have.
  5. Thanks for the input everyone! Keep it coming!

If there are other brands, feel free to add them to the list. :smug:
  6. I've owned and used both quite a bit and I prefer the Boss. The Digitech had a wider range of chorus effects BUT it was noisey....way noisier than the Boss. As posted already, the Boss has a more natural warm swimmy sound. As a matter of fact, the Digitech X-series pedals have all been lacking to me. They all sound "forced" or fake IMO. I've tried the Bass Squeeze (noisy-sold), Synth Wah(wacky-sold) and Multi Chorus (noisey-sold). I am in process of going back to individual effects after trying the Bass Podxt Live (somewhat dissapointing........pity) and I will relace my chorus with the Boss CEB-3(silent , reliable and solid.....why did I sell this thing again?). Then a Dunlop Bass Wah 105q and I'm set. :meh:
    If you've got a couple hundred bucks think about the EBS pedals. Those things are amazing.....the tone, the SILENCE.....awesome effects pedals but do you pay for them?...oh yeah.
  7. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    I agree that the Bass Squeeze is a P.O.S., but I haven't noticed ANY negative effects with the Bass Multi-Chorus. I used to have a Hyper Phase which sounded cold to me but, IMO, the BMC is a keeper.
  8. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    The chorus is what, 400 bucks? But yes. If you happen to have the filthy lucre lying around, EBS will rock you.
  9. 33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    i live in france and EBS pedals are not that expensive here, i dont really rate their chorus that much and have tried most of the bass choruses and found that the Boss is the most useable pedal. I liked the Guyatone MC3 but that had a volume swell with no volume control so its back to the old Boss.
  10. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I will agree that Digitech pedals are noisy, but I've been pleased with my XBC for the past year and a half. I may swap it out for a Boss at some point, who knows.
  11. Great info! Nice descriptions. Keep 'em coming! I'll be over at the Guitar store on Wed. to test out some chorus pedals. :bassist:
  12. It retails for like $260 which is outrageous....super pedal though. EBS amps cost a mint as well.....I like Eden stuff better. :D
  13. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    True that. The Fafner may have the best slap tone...ever...but just lags when it comes time for fingerstyle/tap, only an Eden WT800B can really capture that. MmmMMm...you got me GASin' now!
  14. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    My two favorites are DLS chorus/vibe, great for more extreme sounds, and super intelligent design, and the Visual Sound H2O, warmer and gentler.
  15. I own the bass ceb-3 chorus pedal and it sounds great. I can make it sound clear smooth chorus to deep echoing chorus on my four string. Id go with the boss pedal. but its what you think sounds best for your playing.
  16. seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    I'd be GASin' if I didn't have a Navigator > CA9 :cool:

Back on subject... I have a Boss CEB-3 and an EBS UniChorus. I'm about to sell my Boss and stick with the EBS. I was never too happy with the CEB-3 and I couldn't quite put my finget on what it was about the unit. I like the fact that the UniChorus has true bypass. It was also easier for me to dial in a great sound from the unit. The depth and rate knobs seem to affect the sound much more than the Boss. On the boss it was harder for me to get smaller movements on the knobs to affect the sound. With the UniBass it seems that slight movement can be detected. This makes the pedal that much more useful in my book and that would be my reasoning for keeping one over the other.

Just my $0.02
  17. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    We all forgot an important part of Keith's original question -- that being: "Is this a good start for psychedelic music?" I dunno if it is.

Do you-all think that "if there's ONE effect that says 'Phsychedelic', it's the CEB-3"?

I don't know about that. I think I'd pick a flanger, phaser, delay OR even heavy, squished compression over the CEB-3 (I'm picturing the compressor for tap-pinged harmonics, especially) to more say 'trippy'.