Digitech Bass Squeeze for speaker protection?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by seiji, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Here's the deal: I've been looking for a compressor pedal for some time now and am leaning towards the Digitech Bass Squeeze. I like the sound, and the Dual Band compression.

However, aside from improving my live sound I also wanted something to protect my speakers. You see, every once in a while I like to set the feedback on my delay pedal to maximum, let it self oscillate, and fiddle around with the time knob. The problem with this is that it gets way too loud after a while, so I need something to limit the signal going into my amp.

Now the Bass Squeeze has no Threshold or Ratio knobs, so I was wondering if the signal strength still increases endlessly, even at maximum compression?
  2. for speaker protection, you really want a limiter rather than a compressor (or perhaps as well as!)

A limiter is a compressor with a very high ratio, say 10:1, and you need to know that the compressor (limiter) has that high ratio. Something which is not easy to know for sure with those "one knob jobs."
  3. Thanks. Looks like I may have to get two pedals then, grrr.

But does anyone here know how the Lo Band and Hi Band knobs work? I would assume that the threshold is lowered and the ratio gets higher the further you turn the knob. If the ratio is very high at extreme settings, I could use it as a limiter, right?

Anyone know any details? The manual isn't exactly specific. Perhaps I should just e-mail Digitech.