Digitech Bass Squeeze or Boss CS-3?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fatbassjazzer, Mar 6, 2005.

1. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    My birthday is in a couple weeks and I'm getting a compressor pedal. The question is if I should get a Digitech Bass Squeeze or a Boss CS-3.
    My bass teacher has a CS-3 and he likes it and it works just fine for him even though its a guitar compressor.
    I generally don't like Digitech pedals and I hear the Bass Squeeze just sucks up batteries like crazy.
    Which one do you guys prefer?
  2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ha! Well I'm relieved - I was starting to think nobody EVER considered a CS-3 for their bass! I've been using one for a year now, and have loved it! (In fact it was actually my drummer's this whole time, and I finally bought it from him yesterday, out of what he paid me for Saturday's gig).

It doesn't really offer low ratios, as far as I can tell, so if you turn it up very far it's a real 'crusher', but that's just how I like it.

I've found the best generic overall setting to be level=12:00; tone=1:00; attack=1:30; compress=10:30 - but that last setting is dependent on how much output your bass has, so that would be a little different for every bass.

The way I actually use it now (and I never turn it off!) is in conjunction with an ODB-3 overdrive. The compressor goes first, set like level=10:30; tone=2:30; attack=2:00; compress=10:30. The ODB is set level=1:00; bass=1:30; treble=8:00; blend=10:00; drive=7:00 (full-CCW). I don't run tweeters in my cab, else the ODB is a little too scratchy. The DI signal that I run through the PA has the high-highs cut pretty much.

3. sime

Feb 27, 2005
    my CS-3 has yet to impress me at all, i've used it in both my bass and guitar setups and in neither situation has it helped. it adds consiterable hum, almost adds a haze/fuzzyness to my sound and still doesn't sound very smooth......if that's what it's supposed to do; then hey, perfect! unfortunatly, that's not what i want it for....i've got a fuzzbox. it also has a very pronounced pop when switching on and off. so my advice, as always, try them both out....see which you prefer. the saving grace is that i got mine free.....i don't think i would have paid for it.

the boss also sucks batteries, so an adaptor is a wise addititon (really....that is true for all pedals, batteries fail).
  4. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    DOes it have to be one of those 2 pedals? I don't like either one; I'd go with the Tech 21 one if it's a matter of staying under $100.
  5. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I am looking at having the same pedal set up as you. I'm thinking Bass to ODB-3 to compressor. I think it's either going to be the CS-3 or the Tech 21. Could somebody give more info on the Tech 21 pedal?
  6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    ...and the DigiTech wins by a mile!!!

In general, I too prefer Boss pedals over DigiTech. But the compression that is built in to the DigiTech pedal is actually designed by DBX. DBX compressors are far superior to any Boss or Roland compression product.

It really doesn't suck up as much juice as everyone thinks. Mine will last about a month of playing about an hour a day without having to change the battery. Just don't leave it plugged in.

However, if you're really willing to go the distance, consider a DBX rack compressor. You can't beat 'em unless you're willing to spend around $1000 for that Focusrite red thing.
  7. Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    If you're looking at compressors, give the Aphex Punch Factory a try. It's a very subtle compression, so if you're looking to really change your tone, you probably won't like it. However, it adds a nice amount of compression without squishing your tone. Give it a shot.
  8. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    i've owned both as well and would have to second the tech 21 Bass Compactor addition. I had one a few years ago, sold it got the CS-3, sold it got the Squeeze, sold it and bought another Compactor (thanx Max!).
  9. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    If you will be in shop, try EBS Multicomp as well. I love mine.
  10. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    You might also try out the Boss LMB 3, Doesn't add any hum to my setup.
  11. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I'm on a tight budget too, so I can't get anything over $100. Where can I find a tech 21 bass compactor new for a pretty cheap price?
  12. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    That's the kicker, they don't make them anymore. You can find a good used one on the bay or on here from time to time. You can easily get them for 70 shipped.
  13. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I haven't owned a CS-3, but I won't gig without my Digitech Bass Squeeze. Because it's a dual band compressor, I set the crossover point to about 140Hz, and the LO BAND to 12:00 and it maintains the same amount of bottom end in my sound whether i'm slappin' a low B or high up on the G string.

Mmmmm... consistent fatness!
  14. YUM! That's EXACTLY what I'm after!
  15. Pandafist

May 6, 2008
    Portland, OR
    A friend offered me a digitech bass-squeeze for $40 shipped. I'd never heard one, so I figured I'd search TB...

Payment sent!

Hope you dudes are right or Imma come back up in hur and RAISE SOME HELL :bassist:

16. Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    here' a video demonstration of the digitech bass squeeze. hope this clip helps you out.