Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digitech Bass Squeeze?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Josh Raines, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Hi, I am looking to buy a compressor and I was wondering what people thought of the Digitech X-Series Bass Squeeze Dual Band Compressor Pedal.

Thanks in advance.

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Anyone know about this pedal? I have been curious about how the dual band works on it.

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I have one, and I like it. I've had it for almosdt a year with no problems.

It's pretty easy to dial-in a good sound with the dual bands, as well as the cross-over to change where the bands split.

I use it primarilly to add punch to my my 4-string when I am slapping. I don't use it all the time, just when I know I'll be switching between slapping and fingering rapidly.

It's fairly transparent, and like all Digitech X-series, it's a tank!

4. deemo

deemo

May 23, 2005
    Ontario, Canada

do you think you can kind of explain the whole compressor thing to me? i know it cuts off certain frequencies, but what does the crossover thing do?

5. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Compression takes the signal and squeezes the dynamics. This reduces the change between loud and soft. It's helpful for when you switch between finger style and slapping.

Compression doesn't cut-off frequencies. The Bass Squeeze effectively works as dual compressors over 2 bands.

The crossover knob on the pedal tells you where the break between high band and low band is.

Example:

you have the X-over set to 600 hz. The compression ratio for frequencies below 600 hz will be set by the Low band. The compression ration for high frequencies above 600 Hz will be set by the high band.

That's atleast how I THINK this compressor works.. Imight be mistaken completely...

6. I had one for a while and liked it. I liked it a lot for the price. It is a very usable and reliable piece of gear. I got a new amp with a built-in limiter, and didn't need it so much anymore.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    With the low/high band feature, would you be able to enhance things like harmonics particularly? Maybe that is one of the things it is for.

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    hmmm, it's more aimed at things like slap where you maybe want to keep the low end in heck more than the high end.

The Bass Squeeze is an ok pedal, certainly decent for the money, but not great. I found it kinda noisy, and much prefer my EBS Multicomp - but then again that's much more expensive. Like anything, you generally get what you pay for.