Digitech Bass Synth needs Hot Signal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sincity, Jul 1, 2004.

1. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    I really like this pedal, but it only performs well, very well, when I play my active Peavey Cirrus (18 volt). When I play my Fender Jazz it sounds like crap.

My pedalboard is:

Boss TU-2
    Trace Elliot Dual SMX Compressor
    Digitech Bass Synth
    Boss CE-3
    DOD 250

My Rig:

Trace Elliot V6
    Ampeg SVT 4x10 HLN

I am wondering if the Digitech needs a hot signal to perform well?

I have a Sansamp SBDDI that I use occasionally. Do you think if I put that before my compressor on my pedalboard, that would boost the signal on my passive basses?

Thanks for your help.
  2. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, the sansamp should boost your signal plenty. Also look into something like either a simple volume pedal or an art levelar.
  3. ESP Eden

ESP Eden

Feb 9, 2004
    washington mo
    Do you have the compressor before the digitech? If you do, that is probably the problem. All of the envelope effects on the synth are useless with a compressor before it since they are controlled by how hard or soft you play. The compressor is leveling all of your dynamics to a constant signal. Just experament with the order of all of your effects. Try putting the comperssor last, right before your amp (or the sansamps last if you want your effects to go through the DI) . Hope that helps. :bassist:
  4. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    I have my compressor before all my pedals.

You make a very good point that the compressor is evening out the notes coming into the pedal. I will try rearranging my pedal board a little.

On the other hand, I still don't understand why my Cirrus will trigger the pedal and the Jazz won't?
  5. ESP Eden

ESP Eden

Feb 9, 2004
    washington mo
    Yeah, that does seem odd. Maybe there is a problem with the pedal. Or maybe it does just need a hot signal. If it does, you could use some sort of signal booster.