Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digitech Bass synth question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    How is the tracking if you compare the Digitech to the Boss SYB-3?

2. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    If I believe what I read everywhere : WAY, WAY better on the digitech.

I tested both, for what I remember, this was justified.

3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    digitech is much smoother.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    to echo basstyra, WAY WAY better

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The most important issue you might run in with the Digitech is learning to properly attack the strings to get the synth sound to come out good. I can only call it a light touch with the finger pads. :bassist:

But it's great. I like experimenting with it while playing along to disco :bag: tunes.

6. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    The boss does a pretty poor job. Most notes were off, and you can't even dream of playing chords. Never used the Digi****.

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Infinitely better, because the Digitech doesn't track anything. It's a distortion/filter/octaver.

That said, you still have to play around with the sensitivity knob on the Digitech to get the filters to open or close properly.

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Well,the octaver tracks well.

But I like the behringer Ultrabass better.

9. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I have tried the SYB-3 and didn't like it but the sounds were good, how are the sounds on the Digitech if you compare them to the SYB-3? I don't have the opportunity to try it. I'm maybe thinking of trading a Digitech Bass squeeze for the Bass synth pedal, wise trade?

10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    What the boss tracks..... no way..... I just thought it made random farting noises....... :bassist:

Digitech best synth pedal I've played, with the exception to the Deep Inpact, but the digi had more usable sounds IMHO

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Well said. I have the Akai and the Digitech (as well as the EBS Bass IQ) on my pedal board and the Digitech probably gets more use than anything I own. I use it for synth, envelope filter, octave (I also have the Boss octave, which gets very little use anymore), etc. It does a lot of things and it does them rather well, especially for the price. It has also held up quite well for me. It's basically my "MVP" pedal.

12. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    I'm waiting for mine, I just can't wait anymore !!!!!!!! :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

It's coming from usa to france, it is allways quite long, but... I can't handle it... I WANT MY BSW !!! :mad:

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i recently bought the digitech BSW- then i added a Boss Bass chorus, the whole thing started getting out of hand so i took it all back and got a Boss GT6B-

now i am taking the Boss back because the tracking on the octave and synths is awful and the envelope sucks.
    ( they love me at Sam Ash )

The ONLY pedal i would reconsider and will likely get back is the Digitech Bass Synth Wah- i had a Deep Impact and sold it , it was nice but for live , the Digitech really impressed me, very clean and usable- kinda like 3 pedals in one- a real winner for them, i think, we need more usable pedals like this one.
    the Boss SYB - man, what an expensive paperweight!

14. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I wonder another question, i see people say it's an excellent octave pedal, is it possible to get just a octave sound and no synth sound? Possible to get a clean sound with a subtle octave sound? Octave + synth sound at the same time?

15. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    An octave sound is allways a synth sound, technicly speaking. It is synthetised.

Just try it, you have to hear it to make your own opinion on it.

16. Yes you can remove the filter from the octave leaving only the octave if thats what you mean?

17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i'm telling ya, its a beautiful little pedal! i have tried everything at cg and Sam Ash lately- up to a PodxtLive i have here ready to return- the DigiBSW is really cool!

18. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I think it tracks better than the Deep Impact, the Deep Impact has a better woof. Plus when I run both, I can make the Deep Impact do that overdrive chirping... I like that.

19. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    well actually, kinda. BSWs are a lot cheaper.. people go nuts for the SYB-3 on ebay (despite all the bad reviews) because its analog and well.. people dont know any better. you could trade for it and sell it, and then probably buy the BSW back and make a small profit..