1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Digitech Bass Synth wah as a clean octave

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassmike62, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Provider Supporting Member

'Evening. After playing around with the MXR BOD for about a year (settings, board position, religious incantations), I've decided to give it a rest and give another shot to the BSW, to use it mainly as a clean octave (and use the rest to scare the crap out of my band. The BSW comes right after Boss Tuner and 105Q and precedes filters, compressor, dirt and modulation.

I've tried a few settings (in order: sens, control, range, type):
    noon, max, min, 7
    noon, max, min, 4
    noon, max, noon, 7
    min, min, min, 2

Sounds not bad, but can't seem to find the magic spot with my gear (Peavey basses, Hartke 5500 and 215 cab, various pedals).

Any clean octave settings you guys would be willing to share ? Not considering other pedals for now, budget won't allow it.

Thx

2. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Try;
    min, noon, min, setting 7
    worked well if I remember correctly, it's been a while!

3. Bassmike62

thx compadre, will give it a shot

4. +1 to Diabolic

on setting 7, the range and sensitivity control the synthy envelope-y sound, while the control is the octave(s) level. So if you keep range all the way down, you'll just get a clean octave sound.

Btw, I feel like I hear an additional -2 octave sound the higher I set control on this setting. Anyone else?

It's a pretty decent octave sound, but there is not a lot of character imo. I use the BSW for the freaky sounds in setting 4 (can get a nice Gap Band "dropped a bomb on me" sound) and the envelope in settings 1 and 2.

Been using a OC-2 for octaves lately and been enjoying the gritty factor of that.

5. Bassmike62

Thx for your help guys ! I've finally settled for a 0-11 am-0-mode 7. The noon setting seemed just a little over the top with my gear (maybe because of the 15" speakers ?). Your recommendation helped me out.

6. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    i used noon on the first two and 0 on the last with setting seven. I replaced my BSW with the BOD

7. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Yep, that's it.

Good pedal.

8. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    I've had good experiences doing this as well. The BSW is one of those pedals for which I have never really found a practical use (aside from the octave), and so it mostly goes untouched yet I refuse to take it off my board haha.

9. pedalboard pic please... :D
    i found myself hunting for digitech BSW ;)

10. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    there needs to be a thread with al different types of BSW settings. it's a jack of all trades (and yes...a master on none).

lots of noise making opportunities with mine...literally.

11. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    hehe so true, but i've got such a soft spot for this pedal. And plus, whenever I'm playing with a new band and they ask "hey what kinda sounds can you make with your pedals for that part?" the BSW always gets a great reaction, even if I ultimately decide not to use it. Kind of a wow factor I guess.

12. I also use it as a clean octave, and use other pedals for filter, distortion,... I guess in principle, my pedal board could just be 3 or 4 BSWs with different settings so I could use them alone or in combination!

13. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    Ha yea I have definitely been tempted to get another one

14. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    It'll work - but I thought it sounded bad so I sold mine. Micro POG is the ticket...!

15. Haha... i've owned a Micro POG, an OC-2, an OC-3 and an EBS Octabass...

...and i think the clean octave on the BSW is the best... It tracks well. Better than everything but the POG, BUT... the POG colored the tone a bit too much for my taste.

So, out went the other octave pedals, and the BSW stayed.

I think Digitech could really make a good useable stand-alone octave pedal...

16. Bassmike62

here's an old one that has the BSW.... changed a lot since then, took a few out. I'll post a new one when I change my current set-up. I've discovered I can use the BSW with a Boss BF-3 on gate pan settings, add a small stone phaser and get a rather interesting mock sequencer. I want to put it through the LS-2 so I can blend and get an uneffected signal as well.

17. Bassmike62

Here's the thread I dug up months ago, when I bought the BSW, found it pretty useful. Some settings are pretty wild and IMO not usable in a band context, but it helps to explore possibilities

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=656739&highlight=digitech+synth+wah+settings

Here are the settings I use at this time (left to right knobs)

clean octave: minimum, 10-11 am, minimum, type 7

Sequencer: minimum, minimum, 8 am, type 4

The clean octave setting was recommended in this thread by two fellow TBers. The sequencer is my own finding.