1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Digitech Bass Synth Wah - Good settings?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by busta_bird, May 12, 2010.

1. busta_bird

busta_bird

Mar 11, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    What are some good configurations to use within the pedal? I've had it for a few days now, found a few good things, but wondering what settings you guys are using.

2. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

Here are couple, some are mine, others I picked up by searching the internet (knobs left to right, o'clock settings):

Type 1 or 2:

9, 2, 10h30
    10, 2, 1
    10, 11, 4 (with my set-up, works real well in type 2)
    9, 1, 7h30 (min)

Type 5:
    5, 12, 3
    Combined with a Bass Big Muff, gives out a pretty wild "talkbox" type effect

QUESTION: is your unit noisy ? mine is, even when off...darn.

3. busta_bird

busta_bird

Mar 11, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Thanks. I have a Big Muff as well, I'll try that out shortly. Mine isn't noisy on, but it is when off. It sounds like the ole 60hz hum...

4. Bassmike62

izzat what it is.... I've tried looping mine through a Boss LS-2 and a boss noise suppressor, still got the hum. Shame, cause I really like the pedal, but it's off the board for now.

5. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Off? :bag:

6. Bassmike62

Yeah. :eyebrow:

7. thats bizarre, ive never had a noise problem with mine

8. Has anyone noticed with their BSW (I have mine on setting 4 I think) that whilst the volume is lower than a clean signal (bypassed) it has a much hotter gain?

Pretty frustrating to deal with, I have to significantly lower the gain on my amp to compensate so it doesn't clip (and consequently damage my LM2)

9. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Yep - mine's pretty much on mode 4 all the time these days. Big, slooooooooow filter sweeps, and It Is Loud.

AFAICF - there is no volume control on all but mode 7, which has levels for the octave and (?)-either the clean or the synth level....

I have mine in the effect loop of my GT-10B now - so I can control the return level. I used to deal with the problem by just turning up everything in my chain to match the BSW output - since there was always something on.

10. I have it on 4 with no sweep, (or it's fully on so you can't hear it, can't remember as it's at the band room right now) so it's just a flat out fat synth tone.

I'm trying to find another pedal that does this sound but so far noone has really come up with the goods... guess I'll just have to keep searching *sigh*

11. why are you searching for another pedal to do this sound if your happy with the bsw?

12. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    He's not happy with the huge volume gain.

Jake, are you saying you have the sweep speed set real fast, so it wouldn't be audible really -?

It's a cool sound - I tried and tried to get something similar out of the GT-10B, and various Zoom effect pedals - no dice. I've really just learned to live with working around the volume issues.

13. I like the sound but the volume is significantly lower at normal gain settings. If I use my LS-2 and run the channel hotter I can get a good volume from the pedal that matches my clean tone, but the gain is waaaaay hotter, and this just isn't a permanent solution for me.

If I could get another pedal that has a similar sound (and maybe with more tweakability) then I'd go for it in a flash. So far nothing has quite hit the mark, either too fuzzy and not synthy enough or too synthy and not fuzzy enough -- I'm after that fizzy-synthy-fuzzy sound, even if it means buying an octaver to couple with it.

14. Yeah, I have it so there is no sweep at all, just that fat synthy-fuzz sound. It's awesome with some chorus and a touch of delay, but I'm hoping to find something else that gets as close as possible to that sound so I can control the volume and gain to more manageable levels.

15. im not 100% sure how it would work on bass but if your looking for something do solve the volume issues would the EHX Signal Pad do the trick? you can pick them up for roughly $50 (AUD) so whats that, roughly $35-40 USD?

http://www.ehx.com/products/signal-pad

16. Hmmm, looks interesting. At the moment I'm using the LS-2 to adjust the volume though, but thanks for the reply :)

Just got home from prac and the tracking issues I get with the BSW (running an active bass - EBMM Stingray 5, don't go below the D on the A string, 5th fret though) are really annoying at times and I'm a picky bastard so I'm basically looking for something better, but with that sound... hopefully I'm not asking for too much, and I can't really afford an SB1, if I could find one...

17. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    If you have space on the board, I suggest putting a compressor/limiter after it. Works for me...

18. I tried that with my LMB-3 but it too increases the gain structure.

Meh, I guess I'll have to live with it. Maybe chuck a second compressor before the BSW to control the tracking issue and then increase the gain on the return to the LS-2.

Just seems such a hassle to do it that way, surely there's a simpler solution?

edit: I've come to realise the sub octave is the problem. Increases gain whilst decreasing volume and doesn't track the best with my active bass.

All I really need is a pedal with that sizzly/synthy/fuzzy sound, get a separate octaver and I'm set.

Any suggestions?

19. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    This is how I use the BSW: Max volume on the bass to get better tracking, then a volume pedal after it to control well, the volume or gain.

20. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    i love setting four with control all the way to the left. removes the sweep, leaving just synthy goodness. Alternatively, control almost all the way right, for a nice slow sweep. depends on the mood, but generally always setting 4...

are there any stand alone pedals that give the synth sound of setting 4? true synth square wave? I've heard about the Behringer bass synth pedal but i dunno...