Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digitech Bass synth wah user, I have a question..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Terrorstorm, Mar 29, 2005.

1. I'm looking for good envelope filter sounds, not just a decent auto wah thing... so, is the digitech bass synth wah the right thing for me, I saw, there are some env. filter mods on it, but are they good quality and compareable with a q-tron or the bass iq sound?
    I like the envelope sound, jason from metallica has on the first audio disc of the live sh*t package (for those who have it) somewhere during the bass solo. I read he uses a Mutron III.

I'm afraid digitech is very cheap and soon damaged.
    Because I've borrowed a multi chorus from a friend and it does the craziest things, it changes its sound while playing and then you can't turn it off...

thanks for ya help

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    To me the digitech pedals have always seemed pretty well built, there are always going to be issues with pedals no matter how strong stuff is people can find a way to break it.

The filter section on the BSW sounds like the old DOD filter the fx25 I believe, now this is the filter that flea used for alot of the earlier RHCP stuff its very in your face, I love this synth I'm going to be picking one up in the next couple of weeks but if your sold on a mutron and want the quality and expense that comes along with it get one, but to me for the money nothign beats the digitech for price and features.

Other filters you might want to look at

Line 6 FM4
    EBS Filter
    DOD fx25b
    Lovetone Meatball (these are more expensive than the mutron but are like the holy grail of filters)
    Mutron

There are loads just depends on what you are after, I'll have a listen to that metallica song for you and see if something like that is available on the digitech.

To me the digitech does alot of things really well but others do one thing perfectly it just depends how close you want that sound.

Hope this helps

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, as I've said a number of times before I look on it as an octaver with extras.

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    In other news, I want mine back :(

5. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i got a dod fx25b the other day and it sounds fine, except that the volume is low despite the volume on my bass being set me max. im not all that experienced with envelope filters and im sure there is a simple solution i just havent had enough time to play with it yet.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    This has been annoying me for a while...

What is an envelope filter!?

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    According to my drummer, "it makes your bass go wah wah wikky wah wah wikky wikky wikky." I think thats a pretty accurate description :)