1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Digitech Bass Synth Wah

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by droo46, Jan 3, 2012.

1. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    I just got this pedal today and had some fun messing around with it. I was wondering, however, how people implement the sounds it makes into a band. What kind of settings do you use and how does it work with your group?

2. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    I use the big synthy sweepy sound in one song so far. It makes a lot of other cool sounds, too, but I'm not one to monkey with knobs between (and certainly not during) songs.

-JV

3. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

The BSW works very well for in a classic rock / semi-funk 2 guitars + bass + drum + vox band. I found it so useful I ended up selling a few filters, a MXR BOD and an EHX BBM 'cause I can get decent live effects out of this pedal, sorta like a jack-of-all-trades thing. Here's what I use:

Filter: type 1 or 2: sens : 9 o'clock, control: 1 pm, range 1 pm

Octave: type 7: minimum, 11 o'clock, minimum

Fuzz: type 4: minimum, 10, minimum

4. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    The "big synthy sweepy sound" gets used a lot. Sometimes with a delay or eighth-note tremolo after it. The Mode 7 Octave thing got used a bunch for awhile...

Just for something different, this weekend I'm gonna put mine in a blend and try a short stabby down filtered sound, since my Squeezer doesn't seem to do that one thing so well.

5. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    I found that putting a chorus after on the Synth 2 setting gives me some pretty sick sounds. I wish I had time to make videos. Sigh... Also, thanks alec for that link. I didn't turn it up when I did a search.

6. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    It depends on what type of songs you are playing in your band. I found my BSW to be very useful as we played stuff like Tom Sawyer by Rush, Its My Life by Bon Jovi, and a couple of others where I used the funkier filter sound. I just wish it was programmable so I could set up a bunch of "scenes" to switch to quickly.

7. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    This would be nice but would probably double the cost of it, and that's not really worth it IMO.

I use a fizzy, sweepy synth sound for one song in my band but it sees most of it's usage as an octaver.

8. jackwell1029384

jackwell1029384

Dec 12, 2011
    i got this pedal about 2 weeks ago and realized that i accidentally got the synth wah (as in the guitar one) it seems to work fine with bass but i was wondering what the difference is between the two and weather or not i should bother trading them.

FlyingFlannel likes this.
  9. Bassmike62

I have the Bass version, never tried the guitar version. I'm far from being an expert, but I would assume the BSW handles bass frequencies better than its guitar sibling, so there would probably be no low-end loss with it. I think there are a few SW owners around here, so they might provide a different perspective.

10. Dick Tree

Dick Tree

May 26, 2011
    Normal, IL
    Personally I bought this pedal for its envelope filter/"auto-wah" function, and wasn't impressed. I sold it and ordered the MXR Bass Envelope Filter, which is sitting in a box at my apartment because I accidentally shipped it there instead of where I currently am right now :help: Won't get to mess around with it for a couple weeks.

11. kokoshmusun

kokoshmusun

Feb 5, 2011
    I currently have an EHX Bassballs nano (love it); and ordered a Boss OC-2. However, I'm running out of space on the pedalboard and I'm trying to avoid having to upgrade to a bigger pedalboard. So to make space, I'm hoping I could ditch the Bassballs and OC-2 and replace them with a Digitech BSW instead. I know the sound quality won't be necessarily as good, and the sounds won't necessarily match; but I'm not super picky and I wanted to see what people thought about such a move. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

12. Bassmike62

I put up my bassballs for sale because to my ears, the BSW nails it close enough. I use a rather small board and space management is an issue. I primarily use the BSW as an octaver, but earlier in this thread I posted what I (still) use as filter settings. Heck, this thing can even fuzz if needed.

13. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    I use mine for the intro to beat it for the synthy bits before the guitar comes in

14. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I use it for quite a few settings. It's a great pedal because it offers a lot and doesn't waste a lot of pedalboard space.

I use it for octaver, long sweep synth, shorter sweep synth, envelope filter and during psychedelic breaks it just goes berserk with synth sweeps when I twist the range knob. Coupled with distortion, phaser, delay and tremolo, the possibilities are fantastic.

I also use it as sort of a crazy wah effect by holding a note and quickly stomping the BSW on/off while set on synth sweep.

Don't think I'll ever replace mine.

15. fourtet102

fourtet102

Jun 20, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    I hate heaters!
  16. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
  17. fourtet102

fourtet102

Jun 20, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    I hate heaters!
  18. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I've found that the best way to use an effect like a synth in a band setting is to have bandmates willing to get out of your way sonically so that you can be heard.

If the guitars insist on heavy distortion through the lower range of frequencies, there is a good chance, you'll get lost in the mix. But if the guitars and keyboards can lighten up a bit during your synth parts, you'll find it to be a very fun and maybe even useful effect.

rock on.:bassist: