1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Digitech Bass Wammy Substitute; Boss PS-5 VS Whammy IV

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by iliketooooooool, Sep 4, 2008.

1. iliketooooooool

iliketooooooool

Sep 4, 2008
    Which would get that crazy setting justin chancellor from tool uses all the time?
    It has something to do with one octave fifth harmony or somthn :confused::confused:

And besides that which one you think is better for you?

Ive heard the PS 3 has some kind of horrible delay...

THANKS! :D:D:D:D

2. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
  3. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
  4. dmilt23451

dmilt23451

Sep 5, 2007
    Dallas TX
    OWNED :oops:

5. wowzers

6. jugoziithouu

jugoziithouu

Jun 15, 2008
    1 Google is your friend...

2 Harmony central is your friend...

3 Search search search!!!!!!!! bgshdbalkmknjs

7. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    You cannot substitute the bass whammy. End of story. PS-5/3 sucks. WH4 is your closest bet to an actual whammy.

8. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I like my PS-3 better than the old bass whammy. Then again, I'm not trying to play Tool songs. For that application, I'd agree - the Boss pedals are a poor imitation and the Whammy IV lacks the 5th/octave setting.

9. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    I just don't like the Whammy function on the PS-3. It sounds way too digital and the warble and tracking sucks.

10. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    XP-100 would be the closest since it has 5th up/Oct up.

11. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Well i'm not even talking about 5thup/1up. I'm talking about tracking.

12. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Justin Chancellor doesn't even use the 5th up / 1 octave up harmony all the time. He uses other modes, too (particularly the standard 1-octave-up whammy mode). :meh:

But to the OP: there are a lot of good threads that have covered this recently. Clearly, you've already taken a stab at searching if you know as much as you do already... it wouldn't be that hard to do just a bit more research, given that this comes up ALL the time. :p

IMO, the closest you'll get to the quality of results from the Bass Whammy would be with a Whammy IV. You won't have 5th Up / Oct Up, but it'll cover most other stuff, and it sounds cool regardless. ;)

The PS-3 and XP-100 let you get the "modes" unique to the Bass Whammy, but they don't track or sound the same way. The PS-3 is in a class of its own when it comes to tone...