Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

digitech bass whammy and voltage issues?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stompfrog, Aug 15, 2005.

1. I have just plugged my new digitech bass whammy which was shipped from america at considerable cost into the UK mains via a 2 pin to 3 pin adapter. The unit worked for a second, then there was a strange pop and it turned off. There was also a weird smell from the transformer. I realise now that this is because our mains is 230v and Americas is 120v.

Have I broken the transformer? the whammy? or both???

please break it to me gently......:bawl:

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I've had things like this happen to me when I lived in Asia. In one case, the adapter started working again after a few hours.

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    unless the transformer says 240/120 or soemthing similar on it don't do this again as you will break the adaptor and possibly the pedal.

Shouldn't be a problem anyway as the whammy is a boss standard jack so just pick up a onespot power adaptor from any good guitar shop.

Hope this helps

4. So you dont think that the pedal is damaged.... and it is just the adapter right?

If that is so that is great news!

5. Craggsy

Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    Make sure u get an adaptor thats 9v and a minimum of 780mA

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Hence why I recommended the onespot its 9v and 1700ma's :)

7. i just tried a 9v 450ma and the lights came on but it didnt make any sounds other than a buzz. I understand why it doesnt work as it is not enough ma but is this more evidence that suggests that I havent completley lost the pedal and once i have a 9v 780ms+ it will be working fine.

i should have paid more attention in physics lessons!!

8. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Have you used an alternate adaptor?

9. Case Closed:

Got a new adapter, It works and it sounds great!!!

:hyper:

10. its also AC powered. not like most adaptors.