1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Digitech Bass Whammy - Why No Mods?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NKUSigEp, Aug 17, 2012.

1. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I was wondering...Digitech is certainly not rushing to come out with the Bass Whammy II (although I'm absolutely certain they would make a killing if they did). So why hasn't anyone come out with some sort of a mod for the Whammy IV to essentially turn it into a Bass Whammy?

:bassist:

2. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Auburn, AL
    sub'd.

3. Someone already has. Google Molton Voltage and you'll see lots of info on his mods.

4. They just came out with the Whammy V and despite online petitions, probably hundreds of pleading emails, and even online market research...they STILL wouldn't do the 5th^/1Oct^ setting. I smell a conspiracy.

5. That is what is so fascinating about it to me. I don't get why they don't put that mode in every damned Whammy model. It's so freaking useful, I mean, c'mon a 5th is a pretty standard harmony, and being able to bend it up to an octave sounds so awesome.

See, the thing is, I know why they won't remake the Bass Whammy. Because the first one sold like crap. The few hundred bassists (up to MAYBE a thousand, tops) who would actually buy one do not make enough of a market for Digitech to ever make their money back on that kind of investment. (Sorry guys, that's what they care about, not about some internet petition with 500 signatures)

But I would think that the 5th/Oct harmony would be really friggin useful to guitarists, too. To me, it's the MOST useful harmony mode on any Whammy model. I originally had a Bass Whammy, and found I was only using that mode. So I sold the Bass Whammy and got an XP-100, which is the only other Whammy that has that mode, and it's like 1/5 the price of a Bass Whammy.

6. Good call. IVL Technologies in Canada produced the Whammy II and the Bass Whammy, and since they no longer have a hand in the deal, I don't think Digitech could recreate the magic now. But could they throw in ONE setting...I think so. Like Big Chief said, it is not only a useful setting but we as bassists live in a world of fifths and octaves. They wouldn't even have to have a bass specific model, just a bass friendly model (which is already is, aside from not being able to track anything lower than a low G). Here's to hoping for the Whammy VI...

7. nextdimension

nextdimension

Jan 30, 2008
    Austin, TX
    How do you like the tone on the xp-100? It's made for guitar, any tone loss or tracking issues?

8. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    Thank you or saying this, I wish all the Tool fanboys would listen to this and take it in because they really aren't going to reissue it and if they did I really don't see them doing that well with it.

Besides everyone seems to forget the Eventide Pitchfactor - cheaper than a used Bass Whammy by far, with selectable presets and an almost infinite amount of different harmony/pitch shifting choices. And to be fair the pitch shifting on the M9/M13 isn't to be sniffed at either.

9. The tone sounds exactly the same as all the other whammy's to me (I've personally tried the bass, the IV, the V and the DT). The tracking is fine down to G on the E string; below that it gets warbly. Then again, Lightning Bolt showed that a glitching Whammy can be awesome.

10. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    Maybe I'm looking at it wrong., but whenever someone is outraged that a particular product or modification isn't available, I have to wonder... if it's so easy, what are you waiting for?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You're right. You're looking at it wrong. There's no reason they couldn't add those settings, and you don't need to be a digital pedal builder to want them.

12. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Not sure how to take this but I definitely think you're over-stepping your bounds a bit. Hopefully this wasn't an insult and I just took it the wrong way. I can think of a LOT of ways this pedal could be used by bassists aside from covering "Disposition" in their bedroom.

I'm not outraged but I am waiting for someone to say "yeah that's already been done" or "it's not possible because some holy grail part is no longer available" or something like that. I personally don't have the expertise to do it myself or I would.