Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digitech, Boss, Guyatone Compressors?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sako, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I need a pedal compressor, don't have much money, but have a gift cert for an online retailer. My choices are:

- DigiTech XBS Bass Squeeze Compressor Pedal
    - Boss LMB-3 Bass Limiter Enhancer
    - Guyatone BL-2 Bottom Limiter Compressor/Limiter for Bass

Anyone recommend one over the others? I've searched for comparisions for these pedals with little luck. I'd love an EBS, but it's definitely not in the $70 price range. I play blues-rock and funk. Thanks!

2. I've been looking for a BOSS LMB-3 for awhile now and found a brand new LMB-2 (the older brown one) for $25 Canadian, a steal. I couldn't be happier. Punchy punchy punchy! I use it with a Ken Smith fretted 5 and Lakland fretless 5. Stage and studio.

Now know what you're getting. Any and all of these pedals that you talked about is not going to compare to a $500 - $2000 rack unit,... but my LMB-2 did what I wanted it to - push my bass into the front of the mix in my rock band.

The ENHANCE control sure does brighten up the sound but it did not add more hiss as some people might suggest. It will accent any hiss that is already in your signal, so if you have a cheap noisy bass,... be warned.

I really suggest you try the BOSS unit and IMO with all FXs use it sparingly. If you have a regular average passive bass start with the controls at 12 o'clock (if you're active, it's really going to squash).

If it's squashing your sound too much turn the THSHD up (meaning to 2 -3 o'clock). I usually set mine to 3 o'clock.

If the FX is too bright when you kick it in turn the ENHANCE down to 9 - 10 o'clock. I usually set mine to 11 o'clock with the fretted bass and 6 o'clock with the fretless.

Hope that helps.

3. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I was definitely interested in the "enhance" feature on the Boss, although I have read a bit about it being noisey. Since I have stock J pups on my Hwy 1 Jazz, I figured they would add to the noise, however, I plan to change those out with DiMarzio DP123's in the future. I liked the Limiter compression setting on the ME 50B, although that is an "average" setting of the Boss Limiter pedal and I'm not sure if it has any "enhance" applied to it.

Any experience with the Digitech?

4. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I use a CS 3, but I also use a BDDI with it as well. I like this combination alot.

5. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    What's the difference between the CS-3 and the Limiter/Enhancer?

6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Sorry, but I don't know the technical difference between the two. I just went for what sounded good to me and also the sustaining feature of the CS 3.

I will add the the CS 3 was laking bottom end until I put the BDDI in front of it. Then the CS 3 really came to life!

7. i use teh digitech that you're talking about...it squashes pretty well, but i'm not happy with the hum it puts out. now i'm serachin fora new compressor too

8. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Is the hum only on certain settings? What kind of pick ups are you using? My pups are very noisey when used with certain effects.

9. i have emg hz's and unfortunatly the humis constant, but if i take the compressor out of my signal chain all is good. no matter what settings its on i get the hum, oh well. its nota big deal live, but when recording its jsut not acceptable

10. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for all the input. I'm wondering now if I should consider a compressor that's not specifically geared to the bass.

Maybe the MXR Dynacomp, Super Comp, or the DOD VFX84 Milk Box.

11. doesn't mxr make a bass compressor? maybe i'm misteaken though, i rteally dig their stuff though