Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digitech, Boss, or MXR distorter?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Digitech XBD Bass Driver Overdrive Pedal

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Boss ODB-3 Bass OverDrive

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  3. MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box with Distortion

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. Ok, I've asked what and how good they are. Now just one more thing before I buy, a pole. Digitech, Boss, or MXR distorters.

-thx a lot for EVERYTHING!!!

2. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I like the DigTech, it works pretty well, and I must say I love the morph knob. Not too expensive, all around it's a good pedal. My two cents.

~Graeme

3. i tried digitech, and they failed me every time. i think i must have bought at least three pedals and each one broke, or didnt give me what i wanted. the latest boss distortion is good, nice and versitile, not to much as far as the old pennys go. my personal fave though is my pro co rat.

4. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    That thing sounds like canned kangaroo farts. Fo' real.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    what type of sound are you looking for? They all do different sounds.
    Do you want warm grit overdrive, screaming distortion, or something in between?

6. i am offended! :spit: :bawl: :spit: but as david said, it does all depend on what sound you want

7. i gotta get me some of those then cause my odb3 sounds pretty damn good

8. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey, no offense meant, of course, fellas. :bag: ;) :D

I have two very specific distortion sounds that I use a total of about 50-60% of the time, and the Boss did not do it for me at all on either of them. When I tried it, it seemed like it had one sound, no matter what I did with the knobs.
    Couldn't muster a more subtle overdrive-y tone, and even though it had fuzz in spades, I found it's EQ to be unpleasant.

But as always, w/ any piece of eqiuipment, YMMV. Esp. when you're trying it out in a crowded music store. Plenty of people in this very community dig on the Boss, so far be it from me, etc, etc. I'm curious though: in what context do you guys use yours?

Seriously, and more directly on-topic:
    I have also been looking for a good new distortion pedal. The MXR though seems like it could be a pretty versatile little box, based on what I've read. But I haven't heard one, so I can't provide input.
    I liked the Digitech when I tried it (esp. considering the price). It got pretty much the range of sounds I needed.

But I've started to focus on the unpleasantly expensive Fulltone Bass-Drive (which I have yet to be able to try out, since no-one in town carries them). I like it primarily b/c it has two settings, so I can have a standard SVT grind AND a my "face-melter" sound on tap at all times. I have this now with a Korg 104ds Hyperdistortion, but it's started to get all kinds of flaky lately.... : :meh:

9. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Aye, I'll chalk one up to that. The best thing about the BOSS is when you trun the gain all the way up and the balance all the way down. :D

Honestly, it's great for a nasal dirty tone, but for a good bassy overdrive it's poop.

Have you been to digitech's site for sound samples of the pedals? I think the distortion is great sounding.

10. Hands down, I like the Digitech Bass Driver much better. Very slight overdrive to all out Fuzz. The Bass Driver does it all. I am a Digitech fan for its awesome quality, and versatility. Go Digitech. :) :bassist:
    This is the only pedal I play with at band practice and gigs. I like my wah, chorus pedal, and multieffects processor alot, but I can't live without the Digitech Bass Driver in my arsenal.

11. Bass_SYKO

Bass_SYKO

May 1, 2004
    NYC
    There is nooo question Boss distortion are the best. If you are a metal head like I am the Boss Metal Zone overdrive sounds most excellnt.

Wow i sound like a salesman

But im not i err sware :hyper:

12. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Has to be the odb3. It sounds great in the front of house PA as well as your amp.

13. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I had the ODB and I currently have the MXR. I have never tried the Digitech, so I can't comment on it.

In my opinion, the IDB was better than the MXR. The ODB seemed to give a more "ballsy" OD tone while the MXR seems to be kind of "fuzzy" and noisy. The only reason i kept the MXR over the Boss was due to the fact that it's also a preamp and a DI.