Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digitech BP-50 - I'm impressed!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flatwound, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I've tried a few effects and multi-effects before, and each has come up short for me. The Zoom 607 II seemed too cheaply made, and had a noisy output jack. I tried the Korg Pandora PX-4b, but it was pretty noisy, and I was hoping for something that could be used live.

I'm currently using a Sansamp BDDI either into a power amp, or into my practice amp for a monitor, with the DI going to the board. The SABDDI is a solid, well-built, good-sounding piece of equipment.

So. Now I have this BP-50, and I like it very much. Good sounds, low noise, decent tweakability. I don't know how accurate the amp models are, since I haven't played through a lot of the modeled amps, and haven't even seen some of them. However, the amp modeling section gives you a lot of basic tones to work with. From there, you decide how hard to drive the "amp", and then you can add compression and EQ. Lots of variations available.

The effects aren't as tweakable as I would like, but they sound good, and it's a $79.95 pedal, after all. There's enough here to get tons of different combinations, many of which are pretty cool. Several distortion boxes are modeled, including the Big Muff Pi, ProCo Rat and more. I personally like the Sparkle Drive model, as it's a bit more subtle.

The chorus, flanger, and auto-wah are pretty basic. This is where I'd really like some more control over parameters. Each gives you a choice of 10 pre-sets that can't be modified. Again, the pre-sets sound pretty good to me, so I can't complain too much, in light of the low price.

I've only played this thing for a couple of hours, but there's a lot to discover here.

I may take it back and get the BP-200, though, which costs about twice as much and adds a lot more features.

I would guess that the BP-50 is about as good as it gets for $79.95. I wouldn't hesitate to gig it.

2. I have the BP-50 and love it. It takes some getting use too. SOme of the effects sound better with different amp models than others. Try playing around with the different amp models when experimenting with a effect. I found I like the fretless effects on the Mesa Boogie amp mod, or with the SWR intersteller overdrive.