DigiTech BP200 Bass Modeling Processor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cassanova, Jul 23, 2005.

1. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Im in a quest for an effects processor or amp. By next Friday, I'll have my 6 string bass. So Im looking for something to play it through. Im looking at both amps and processors right now and am thinking a processor is a relitively inexpensive way to practice.

I was listening to some of the sound clips that the Digitech BP200 has and I must say, I fell in love with at least 2 of them. The fretless and upright bass simulators sounded incredible to me. I didnt get to toy with many of the other effects in it and i found the drum patterns in it mediocre at best.

Any takes on this product from people who have more experience would be appriciated. Is it worth the $150 price tag? Is it reliable or will it break down after a short while? What elese would I be able to do with the other effects too, like the envelope filters and such?
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Don't get it. It sucks tone, is really hard to use, and the simulators suck.

I highly suggest not getting it. For $150 I suppose it's pretty good, but I would rather get single pedals.
  3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Well if you liked two of the effects and you take into account the average price of a decent pedal starts @ $60 to $70 then it would've been worth it right?
  4. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Hey Cass did you get my PM?
  5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    its not that i didnt like some of the other effects in there, its just that i dont know how practicle a lot of them would be. I know I could at least use the fretless sim on some covers that I know use a fretless bass, and the upright bass sim would come in handy should I want to put together or join a jazz trio, not to mention I could use the DB sim for some older covers that Ive had to play like Rock this Town, Stray Cat strut, and a lot of the oldies covers from the 50's.

Yeah, just replied to it.

What do you mean it sucks tone? I dont think any of the simulaters in it really sucked. I just dont know what the hell Id use most of them for. I'm also concerned with the EQ in it. Is it parametric or is it more like the crappy EQ in the Zoom 506's?
  6. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    No I mean it sucks tone in bypass. :)
  7. Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    I bought one over a year ago, and it is still working as good as it did when I firsrt got it. Unfortunately, that doesn;t mean much. The fretless simulator tracks inaccurately, so if thats the reason you want it, pass on it. You can get a few useable sounds out of it, but not many. You will outgrow it pretty quickly too...
  8. I had one for a while, about 8 months, I found that I was using more than two effects in a songs so I got rid of it. I also thought alot of the effects sounded like **** with bass, Like the wah and whammy. The whammy is what I inntially bought it for, but the tracking is horrible when running it clean, With distortion its not as noticable but it was still annoying, It is a tone sucker and a total waste of 150 bucks. Indivisual effects are the way to go, unless you want one of those rack mount proccessers. Maybe the BOSS processers are better, but Digitech is certainly someone to avoid when it comes to these.
  9. what about that hartke pedal? that has a headphone feature (i think) and seems really nice...i don't know why people buy the amps (which i hear too much about them breaking to care about them) when they can just get the same sound with the pedal
  10. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Im not too effects savy but would someone please explain to me what tone sucker means?
  11. when the effect is in bypass your tone is adversly affected as a result of (said effect) being in your signal path.
  12. p.o.d.

Jul 19, 2005
    it is the first bass processor I've played.
    I liked it's synth and distorion.
    slap sound was good too
  13. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    How do you compensate for the lack of tone/volume when this happens?
  14. You have to run a loop pedal or whatever so you can take it out of your signal path when not in use, but being as it is the type of pedal you are likely to be using all the time you might not need to worry about it.
  15. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    The BP200 sucks. The tuner and metronome were the only useful things in it.

As far as your tone sucking question...you can't compensate for it. It is gone or colored forever.
  16. well, what i say is, if the shoes fits, wear it. is 150 enough of a value for you? the lower priced multiFX boxes have a tendency to suck tone...the lows don't seem as deep, and the highs don't seem so clear. if you use the FX box's built-in EQ and amp sim and all that, and you still have a tone that you like, than why not get it? personally i'd look at the zoom BFX-708II just because i am not a huge fan of digitech...will it break soon? well, it is made of plastic. my bfx708 took one fall, and it has never worked since.
    but in the end, if it sounds good, then it is good, because isn't it about the tone?
  17. A big hunk of SHEIZA. Don't get it. In fact, aviod Digitech in general. Shop around and you could get 3 good BOSS stomp boxes in no time. (Used) and you can tweak and maximize at all your desires.
  18. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I know what you mean about the tone sucking issue now. I was playing my bass through one of these and a Bassman Rumble 100 at the music store. It seemed there were times that there was no tone at all, regardless of how much gain and levels I had and it did always sound a bit colored.

I have to agree with whoever said the tracking isnt that great. I tried the fretless sim with my bass and though it sounded pretty good, it wasnt tracking the way it shouldve. Too much lag or something. I also lost my affection for the upright bass sim on it. My bass sounded nothing like one comming through it.

Im not ruling it out just yet, because on the whole, I was happy with the tone I heard from my 506, into the bp200 and rumble 100. And the only way I'd buy one now is if I got a good deal on a used one, and Im sure I'll find a great deal on one.
  19. 4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX

The Digitec BP200 is one of those things I regret spending money on. I've had mine for about a year and while you can make some interesting and strange sounds, I've found it to be:

* Difficult to use
    (presampled setting have varied gain levels)
    (sequential access to settings not easy for live performances unless the unit is reprogrammed and the settings are placed next to each other - note selection is bidirectional)

* Difficult to program
    (far too many options)
    (programming and saving can consume significant amounts of time and effort)

* Poor sound quality
    (high level of hiss, even in bypass mode - using live or in a recorded situation was not possible without compromising overall sound quality)
    (many settings clip or decay erratically)

* Functional issues
    (foot pedals operated erratically - the right one especially)
    (tuner is very erratic)

Conclusion - try before you buy!!! Personally I wouldn't recommend this unit.