Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digitech BP200 Help!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jbennardo, Sep 9, 2005.

1. OK, I bought a Digitech BP 200 pedal last year and have used it sparingly simply because the bottom end drops out when I engage it. Besides adjusting the EQ on the pedal, does anyone have suggestions or experience with this pedal?

My rig sounds deep and full but when I step on the pedal - weak. AND, when switching from preset to preset, the quality changes EVEN if I've taken the care to make sure the EQ is the same on every setting.

Ugh. I think I'm missing out on some cool sounds and I'm frustrated. :mad:

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    My experience is pretty limited to about a dozen or so stomps but
    you'll find that a lot of effects boxes cause the EQ to change a great deal.

3. I was at Sam Ash to simply buy a Chorus pedal and the dope talked me into this multi box that does 80 sounds for only a few bucks more. :rollno:

Guess that makes ME the dope, eh?

I've been told that individual boxes are the way to go and multi's (or certain multi's) suck the life out of your sound.

4. I don't have experience with the DigiTech units, but I do with Zoom's (506II & original 708). Hard to say what's happening, but my feeling was that the DigiTechs had generally better noise and frequency response characteristics. Other than EQ settings being the same, is your patch (preset) gain level set so that the overall effect sound is the same as the bypass level? If it isn't, it could be perceived as a loss of low end. As a general rule for me, I don't "edit" an existing sound (preset) to get a usable effect. I "build" it from scratch so that I can avoid all those dopey effect add-ons (like reverbs, echos, and extreme EQ) that some of the multi-effect pedals come set up with for demo purposes. Not saying you do or you don't, but it's good to establish a base-line of operations. Also, it'd be good to try and find another unit to compare yours to and see if it's the same in regard to your problem. Keep us posted, please.

5. Creeate your own preset.

6. I was tyring to establish that base line, but was getting caught up in the effects themselves. The first forty "channels" of the 80 are programmable. I basically stripped them down completely and leveled the EQ at zero. Then, I started adding things back in as needed.

So if I understand you, I should start again, remove everything and make sure the engaged patch sounds like my bypass. After that, I can start adding smoke and mirrors.

Furthermore, if I do discover that simply engaging the pedal, even with no effects applied, changes the sound, I might have to leave a channel empty as sort of a "fake bypass".

Hmm, interesting. I'm gonna mess around with them a bit.

7. Sounds like you're on the right track. I think that normally each "channel" of the unit should have a parameter that sets the volume for the channel engaged, so you can balance everything. If you notice a volume level difference between an engaged channel and bypass (whatever the effect in use), adjust accordingly. Whether or not this gets the low end back in line remains to be seen (heard).

8. I don't wanna bum you out but if you've had the pedal for a year and have yet to get good tone out of it..... Ebay here I come. the number one complaint about most digital multis, especially digitech, are that they suck the low end and general good tone out of any decent rig. If you were playing a squier bass and amp combo it might sweeten it up a bit but if you are using even half decent gear than that unit is definately your weakest link.

9. I was afraid of that. It's not the first time I've heard that. I'm gonna give it one more go and see if I can make something out of nothing. If not, it's outta here. I don't need effects that bad, I just thought it would be a nice addition.

Lesson learned.

10. VVildo

VVildo

Sep 6, 2005
    Sounds like you're doing the right thing. I don't notice as much of a low-end dropout when I use my BP200, but I don't think my rig is good enough to notice that much of a difference. The pedal does have issues with volume across different patches/channel/presets. There's one thing that you might not have noticed because you haven't messed around with it very much.

There's a Master Volume value. You change that by moving around the far right dial when you're not changing settings to any of the indivdual options. That level will stay the same when you change patches. Then there's a 'level' option for the amp/stombox modelling. That level doesn't stay the same when you change patches, it's specific only to the patch you're working on.

Here's the thing though. Say you put some settings for the amp/stombox effect. Ashdown/55gain/72level. You decide you don't like that sound and you want to see what the other amp models sound like. You fiddle around with the left dial seeing what the other ones sound like, but then end up on Ashdown again. Those gain/levels aren't going to be the same. Each time you change which amp you're modelling the stupid thing puts in default values. Ashdown defaults to 50/50, so you'd have Ashdown/50/50 but think that you have Ashdown/55/72 like you had before.

I don't know if the same thing happens with the reverb or effect settings, I've just really noticed it with the amp/stompbox setting. Keep an eye on it though. You might be using different level settings than what you think you are, and that's causing the final volume to be all screwy. On the other hand, the thing could be sucking all the quality out of your rig.

The idea of having a 'fake bypass' is also a good idea. You'll notice when you have the pedal on it's actual bypass setting the Master Volume knob doesn't do anything. Instead the volume is completely controlled by the setting on your amp. When you have the pedal in non-bypass the volume is controlled almost completely by that Master Volume knob and not the amp. At least that's the case when I have the pedal set up as preamp-out->pedal->power amp in on my amp. If you want the same volume using the true-bypass and a preset you're going to have to mess with the volume controls on your amp. I think that's way too much of a pain. It means if you decide that you're going to play a little louder you'll have to adjust both the master volume knob and the level on your amp. And then twiddle with it so the bypass isn't over/under-powering. With the fake-bypass preset you can just stick to going by the Master Volume control on the pedal.

I hope that helped. Let us know how it goes.

11. Thanks for the comprehensive answers....

Funny, I just finished messing around with it and wrote down all of my benchmark values. I manged to get the fake bypass to sound like the real bypass (ie tone, eq). Patch number one will be bypass and others will get built from there.

It's hard to really give it a go in my house so we'll see how it performs at a practice. That will be the test. I really want to work with it since it appears to have some redeeming qualities. The next test is to figure out within each patch the right amount of effect and which songs to use them on. I'm so conditioned to plug and play and use treble and bass roll offs, I won't know what to do with myself! Delay? Whoa!

Thanks again

12. Good luck, I hope it works for you. If not they can be a good introduction to the world of effects (and a trade in at the music shop) and an all around decent benchmark to gauge your future effects decisions on.