Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

digitech BP200 vs Zoom bfx708II

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tony longbass, Sep 8, 2005.

1. tony longbass

tony longbass

Sep 8, 2005
    omaha
    which is better the BP200 or the Zoom 708II processor? :ninja:

2. VVildo

VVildo

Sep 6, 2005
    I own a BP200. As the only multi-effects pedal I've ever had I can't compare it to anything else. I'd rate it an "eh, ok." Nothing that will blow you away with coolness, but I doubt you'll regret having one. I was rather disappointed with the selection of distortion options you have. I believe there's 3 or 4 different ones, but only 2 of those sound good at all. And those two good ones sound exactly the same. The wah-pedal itself is pretty solid, but you have to coax the settings to make it sound ok. Just putting a wah on means you won't hear anything when you have it in the "up" position. There's a lot of amp emulation options, that's for sure. If I run the signal directly from the effects pedal to my sound card I can tell the difference between the different amp settings. However, if I mic my amp while running the effects it's hard to tell the difference.

As for the other things it has, you really have to ask yourself how often you see yourself using them. I suppose if you compose original material a lot you could find use for a flanged, phased, vibrato bass sound with a ton of reverb, delay, and fretless emulation. But if you're just kind of playing along with songs you know you won't use them that often.

I could record some sound clips of any effects you'd want to hear tomorrow if you'd like me to.

3. tony longbass

tony longbass

Sep 8, 2005
    omaha
    thanks for the advice. sounds like u know your stuff. please sent those sound clips if ya could and good lookin out.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    IMO the effects are better on the zoom but the digitech is better put together

5. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I have the BFX708II and I like it for what it is. It is not a professional sounding effects tool but if you tweak it properly you can coax some good effects out of it. I use it mainly as a practice tool because you have the drum beats with which you can practice with. You also have the sampler which you can use to record those harld to learn riffs and play them back at a slower speed to learn them. I have yet to use it live though. I have messed with the Digitech and I prefer the Zoom over it. More features and better functionality. I have owned the Boss GT6B and that blows both out of the water. If you are just getting into effects and need a cool practice tool then get the Zoom.

Actually my Behringer V-amp has some decent effects in it but you can only use one at a time.

6. tony longbass

tony longbass

Sep 8, 2005
    omaha
    this will be my first effects processor. i just want something to experiment with, that has decent drum beats and can create some decent effects :bassist:

7. Koushaku

Koushaku The artist never sleeps, only dreams

Mar 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Both guitarists in my band have, or used to use, the Digitech RP line of guitar multieffects, and I have the BP200...we don't use them anymore, mostly because the single effects were better, but also the pedals that scroll between presets get worn out and don't work after awhile.

It certianly isn't a pedal you'd expect to keep for years and years through lots of gigging, it simply isn't built well enough to withstand that, but it's fine for experimenting...I think they expect you to upgrade to higher quality single effects or more expensive multi units, but to begin experimenting and practicing with the drum machine it works ok...it's got a decent amount of sounds for the price.

Just giving a heads up, if you were planning on banging it around in back of the band van (or stepping on it too hard :D ). I've never tried the zoom, so I can't speak of it's build quality, but I, like the guitarists I play with, moved on to single effects pedals though they cost more.

8. VVildo

VVildo

Sep 6, 2005
    Alright here we go with the sound samples. The I went through all 40 presets that they have just playing the same thing. I repeated it twice before switching to the next preset. The wah effect has a bad habit of all the sudden sounding way too bright. At around 4 minutes I putzed around with the wah to try to show what I mean. Then I completely forgot about the drum loop feature, probably because I can't improvise at all. I have a drum loop at the end, with a one-take guess at some bass line. I apologize for the terrible playing throughout :) I think you'll find that several of the presets are things that would either get lost in a mix or you would never even think of seriously using in a song.

This was all recorded directly from the pedal into the mic input of my sound card.

BP200 Samples

edit: I forgot to add that I agree with Koushaku. This is nothing that you're going to want to step on if you're excited at all. It's not delicate to the point where you're afraid your going to break it everytime you touch it, but you're not going to be able to jump on it.

9. tony longbass

tony longbass

Sep 8, 2005
    omaha
    thanks alot for the samples. the bp200 does have a few effects that are kick a**. it sounds as if some of the effects are along the same lines or tone for that matter. this will make my decision 50% easier. thanks again :bassist:

I WANNA GIVE A SHOT OUT TO VVILDO.

GOOD LOOKIN OUT.

10. VVildo

VVildo

Sep 6, 2005
    Haha. Anytime I can make someone put half as much effort into something I will :)

11. VVildo

VVildo

Sep 6, 2005
    You might want to take a look at my reply in this thread. I forgot about the whole bypass/levels issues that the BP200 has. I don't know how the Zoom pedal handles things, but you'll probably want to know what you'll be dealing with on the BP200.

12. tony longbass

tony longbass

Sep 8, 2005
    omaha
    sounds like more people use the bp200 so i,ll try to be different and go with the zoom. thanks everyone 4 your info :p :p :p

13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Well what you might want to do is go single pedals. In your price range, getting 2 or 3 or 4 single pedals will sound way better than one of those multi FX units, and you can add more FX later if you need to. The single pedals will last longer and sound better, but in the long run if you go with singles, its harder to switch all of the pedals and gets a tad expensive.