Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digitech BP200

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassDmb18, Sep 19, 2004.

1. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    I have one. Used it a total of maybe 20 min. Don't like it. What should I do with it?

I want to take it to Guitar Center and trade it in for a stompbox or 2, or some credit towards something. What should i do with it?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    What effects do you want?
    If you only want one or two specific effects, get them individually. If you want more, think about a better multi fx such as the boss me-50b

3. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    To get any decent sounds out of the BP-200, I found it necessary to adjust the presets to the something I like. Use it all the time, now. But it took about a week of futzing with the settings.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yeah, the presets aren't any fun. Experiment for a while with it. After owning a BP50 for a few months and using my brother's Dunlop Crybaby, I have determined that I want an envelope filter, delay, flanger, and a reverb. Maaaaybe a chorus. But if you don't experiment, how will you know what to buy?

5. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    well, i just got a Sonic Maximizer, so I guess I don't need anymore cleaning up of my tone.

I also use a Boss DS-1, and it sounds good as far as destortion for bass. Maybe a rackmount tuner, and something else. I'm open to suggestions. What are some of the effects Stefan uses from his Eventide?

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Suggestion:

Stop worrying about what other people are doing with theirs, and then experiment with what you already have. There's a real wealth of stuff to be found in the Digitech MultiFX, but you can't expect them to whack you in the face. Bust out the manual and get crackin'.

7. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    But even on bypass the thing makes my bass sound like ass. Like a blanket has been thrown over my speakers.

8. Wezzz

Wezzz

Sep 19, 2004
    ebay it man
    i have one and it is a noisy tone-sucking mofo even when it is off

better off with a decent rack-mount or some custom stompboxes (make sure u get true bypass ones or are good with a soldering iron, cause you'll just get a similar hiss with boss or ebs)

9. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    I just realized the iAMP already had a Tuner on it.. duh, so now.. Its up on ebay, but I don't know what I need, or even want to replace it.. Maybe nothing, maybe a nice dinner out with my girlfriend. Maybe an auto wah or delay.

10. Phaedrus

Phaedrus

Nov 17, 2004
    Dublin
    Sh1te! :eek: I'm expecting delivery of a BP200 this week. I'll give it a while before I cast judgement. I've paid a lot less than current Irish price, so if worse comes to worst, I'll probly be able to sell it without losing on it.

I'm prepared to dick around with it to get sounds I like, but I'm concerned by the thought of the bypass mode sapping tone - what's that all about? :eyebrow:

Mark

11. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    With the settings I made, I don't bypass; its always on.

12. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    I've had mine for almost 2 years. No real problems with it, but as was said earlier, it does take some "futzing" around to get the sounds you want. I'm not as jazzed by the unit as I used to be as I've sound better equipment with much better sounding effects, but as I don't really use much effects on stage except for a little chorus added in at the board, it sort of just out-grew itself for the most part. It suffices for the few times I use it. I just can't justify the money for something better at the moment. As for the bypass, I've found no issues there at all. In by-pass, I get same sound as going straight into my rig, no noise. I've A/B'd that more than a few times. Seems to be that enough folks are having this problem to be a concern. I'm just glad I'm not one of them. Just my .02

Cheers,
    Hammer

13. pshift

pshift

May 30, 2003
    Downstate NY
    I've had mine for close to a year now with no problems whatsoever. I'm looking to upgrade, though ... :bassist:

14. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Let me clarify something...

The BP-200 is not at all a bad unit. The problem with the unit is the presets, which are terrible. I strongly believe that the naysayers of it simply don't know how to use it, or are using it in a bad conjunction with a limiter or compressor. You can't put a limiter after the pedal, it simply does not work, it won't make the sounds it is programmed to make.

With proper knowledge and fudging, the BP-200 can indeed enhance your sound. But it is not for novices, (I'm not implying that anyone in this thread is a novice) it takes some serious knowledge of the nature of our instrument to use it to your advantage.

15. i totally agree with mud flaps here, i'd just like to add that you need to understand, or at least reconize the strengths and weakness's of your bass(es) sonicly. once you know that, it can become a tool you'll always keep falling back on. sometimes me and my bp 200 have a love/hate relationship, but time and time again i fire it up and i'm back in love for a while jamming away for hours with all the cool effects you can make up. all in all, its a quality piece of equipment, especially when you look at the price.

16. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    it's interesting that since I followed this thread, I've happened to "fall back" on the old BP-200 once again! Pure coincidence I assure you. A couple weeks back at a rehearsal, an opportunity came along to add some color to a line I was doing. I stepped up to a patch I created a while back and it was exactly what the song needed. Now I'm back to using it more often.......at least for now.

17. Hi All,
    I have owned the BP200 for 2 years now and I agree it takes some fudging around to get the right sounds out of it. I use it all the time. I play in a Prog band and I have found it very use full, you just have to know how to use it.
    TR