Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digitech Bp8 Valve...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rich600, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    Just wondering if anyone knows how much this effects processor costs new and what id expect to pay for a second hand one, a guy i know is trying to get me to buy it for £250 but im not so sure if this is value, so any help would be appreciated.

Rich

2. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    over here in the states they go for around $100 used.....so personally i figure thats waaaaay too high.

3. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    Right, but i really want it, ive been using it the past few days and it could turn out to be a really powerful tool. How should i handle this guy then?

4. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    don't buy it for that much! i bought one the day they came out years ago for just over $300. it was a decent board, but they are no longer made. i wouldn't spend 250 pounds! honestly, for that cash and the current exchange rate, you can buy one used on ebay and pay for the international shipping (have it sent as a gift to avoid customs fees and declare it as a low value, around $100 or less)...you should look around on the net, i'm sure you can find one used for far less...you won't find one new...good luck.

as for this guy, i would tell him what you've learned and see if he'll lower his price. he may not know what it is worth, or he may be trying to rip you off. once he realizes that it isn't worth that much, he may be eager to get rid of it for whatever you'll give him. maybe offer him 150 pounds (buying one used from the states and having it shipped would probably cost you the same thing)?

5. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    I might have bought it before i actually did some online snooping as to how much they cost, but i think i may just offer him a take it or leave it kinda thing and say i can get better value esle where.

Rich

6. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    Rich where are you in Scotland? I'm in Aberdeen and I've got one of these and I may be tempted to sell. I wouldn't be expecting anything like £250.

7. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    I live on the Isle of Lewis, its just off the north west coast.I might be interested if you dont rip me off!hehe

8. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    I need to think about this - it was a bit of an impulse post - I recently bought a V-Bass and I doubt I'll want to hang on to the V-Bass AND the BP-8 - especially since I'm being tempted by the new programmable Sansamp BDDI!! Problem is I'm not completely sure the BP-8 is the one I want to get rid of because I'm not in a gigging band right now and haven't had the chance to compare them in a gig situation. If I do sell I wouldn't be expecting anything remotely close to £250 although I'd warn it's been gigged plenty (by a previous owner) and has a few scuffs and scrapes to prove it. Works perfectly though.

9. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Cool - more Scotsmen!!!! :hyper:

Looked at the BP-8 a while back....... but ended up going through a Bass POD Pro and a Boss GT-6B......now I've just got the individual stomp boxes that I'm likely to use! Not much of an effects user, but they can be nice to colour things as and when necessary!

Hmmm, £250 (I know your not looking for that bassbloke - I'm just agreeing it's a bit much!) is a lot....I mean......a brand new Boss ME-50B is only about £195 these days

10. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    Not sure you are comparing like with like though - with the BP-8 you get a decent valve preamp, with good eq and compression. That's where the value lies - the effects are almost a bonus in my opinion. But whatever I think of the BP-8 personally and although they used to cost well over £300 new in the UK, the simple truth is they haven't held their value well and used ones are available for a lot less than £250.

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

You're probably right there.........but I got a decent enough valve pre-amp in my Ashdown ABM head.....so solid state effects are good enough for me!

12. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    I haggled fellow scotsmen and im buying it for £150, did i haggle well? :D

13. Sansamp bass driver DI's, they arent that new . . . but are sooo sweet :)

*also from scotland, blairgowrie (just north of perth n dundee)

14. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Congrats on haggling him down.

I've had the bp8 for a while and it used to be a real love/hate relationship. It's real tricky to get the hang of setting up things how you want them because there are so many effects and settings on there. Hopefully you can get the hang of it faster than I did.....now I just run mine straight into poweramp.

Here this site may help you someBP-8 settings

I use several of those with very minor tweeking.....some are useless, but I think it gives a great starting point for setting up and learning to use your board.

15. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    Mohawk I was thinking about the programmable BDDI - so new they're not even on sale yet! It's a BDDI that you can programme to "remember" your 3 favourite settings and you can switch between them by footswitch (plus presumably a bypass option so you have 4 different sounds without further tweaking).

16. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    Rich that's certainly closer to the market price - I'd probably have charged a bit less, but £150 might just about be fair if it's immaculate.

17. ohhhh, never knew this thing existed, damn no music shops over here having anything to do with tech 21 ! (well, ive seen some guitar stuff in the soundcontrol in edinburgh, but thats it ) . . . and it wasnt on the tech21 site last time i looked, anyone have an idea about how much these will set you back ?

18. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Its also worth trying the Korg AX10B .. i got mine for £ 85 inc postage

19. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    As I said, they are not even on sale yet but you can get details at the Tech 21 website. Rumour seems to be that they will be at a rrp of $250, not too much more than the basic BDDI. Only downside is they will be a bit bulkier.

20. aye, thats a pain as i just recently got my BDDI ! , but if i need to move up, may replace it with an RBI or the new programmable one!

they should make an updated/upgraded version of the RBI that allows some channel footswitching, that'd be sweet :)