1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Digitech BSW LED Flashes 3 times but pedal doesn't work

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Disco_Gee, Apr 27, 2009.

1. I have a Digitech BSW that I've had for about 10 months. I haven't used it much at all in that time. I plugged it in tonight and started playing, but after about 5 minutes the pedal shut off and went into bypass mode. It won't switch back on. Now, when I pull the cable out of the input jack, and plug it back in, the LED flashes 3 times, but I can't switch the unit on. The battery has plenty of juice left in it.

I opened the battery house and tried pushing the switch manually with my finger but it still won't switch on. I've searched high and low for information regarding the LED flashing 3 times and I can't find anything. I'm hoping maybe someone here can help? Does anyone know what the problem is?

2. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Why are you sure the battery has plenty of juice? Tongue test?

3. so glad im not the only one who does that...

4. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    pretty sure thats what digitech x series pedals do when the battery is dying

5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Try using a power adapter. Batteries drain pretty quickly in pedals, especially in you leave your leads plugged into it.

6. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    And use the right power adapter at that.

7. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    10 months ????

There is enough conductivity in the air to drain a battery after 10 months.

The manual says average battery life is 4 hours of continuous use.

8. The light flashes three times when the pedal first recieves power (it happens when I switch my pedalboard on)

I would try changing the battery, and check the PCB to see if anything is obviously toasted...although it's all surface-mounted inside those X-series pedals, so a repair may be impossible

If all else fails, it's not too expensive to buy a new one. ;)

9. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Batteries are booty. Just use a proper power supply.
    Get back to us after you try that...

10. Thanks for the replies. It appears that it was the battery. Don't I feel stupid! :bag:

I only just put the battery in. I thought it was a fresh one but apparently it's not. Digital effects behave strangely when the battery power if low - do they just turn off rather than slowly stop working? Plus, every piece of Digitech documentation I could find completely neglected to mention the "3 flashes" as part of the normal power on procedure. That's a bit annoying.

Oh well, I should have checked the battery properly.

11. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    no worries. now you must do a disco groove with the bsw!

12. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Harsh penance, man.

:scowl:

13. voodoobassist

voodoobassist Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Tulsa , OK
    I got my BSW a few months ago on closeout at GC, $48.99, I believe, and have discovered that if FLIES through batteries. I don't have a digitech adaptor, but my old boss adaptor seems to work fine. I put a brand new duracell in this weekend, played two one hour sets, and it was dead the following night. Have had the same scenario each time I've used it. No, didn't leave it plugged in till the next night, used it once throughout the entire evening. This thing seems to suck the life right out of 9 volts in a heartbeat. Still a cool little pedal for the money though I guess.

14. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Any pedal that sounds like Pac Man will do that to batteries every time.