1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Digitech CabDryVR cab sim pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jimfist, Jan 18, 2017.

1. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    This being presented at winter NAMM:

DigiTech CabDryVR

"The new DigiTech CabDryVR Dual Cabinet Simulator pedal features a selection of 14 all new great sounding guitar and bass cab impulse responses. Now you can run direct from your pedal board or preamp through the CabDryVR to your mixing board, in-ear monitors or DAW and get high quality cabinet emulation without the need for a real cabinet."

Might be useful for some. I can see where many would feel it is a nice idea, but connection/feature limitations would cause significant buzzkill (the trend of no balanced and/or XLR connection).

CharlieC and Nunovsky like this.
  2. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    NoxNoctus and jimfist like this.
  3. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    fortunately, the second cabinet can be set to "dry" for a 50/50 wet/dry blend.

Blu bro likes this.
  4. LowG

LowG

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Surprised this isn't getting more attention around here. I recall long threads about cab emulation for DI tones, but crickets with this. I wouldn't think the lack of XLR is a killer - most of us have DIs already

5. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Next year. Someone will finally get it all together. There really should be a speaker sim with for in and out, so that you can run the di from your amp.

jimfist likes this.
  6. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    New Tech 21 Q/Strip will rip it apart and dig down.

Bassmunnky and Seanbassplayer like this.
  7. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That's a great looking/sounding pedal right there. GAS inducing for sure.

If you're looking for a more accurate simulation of a specific cabinet's complex EQ, then the best bet is digital IR technology. Your tone can sound great using basic EQ tone shaping, which has been valid for decades. If you're looking for your tone to sound like it is coming from a SPECIFIC cabinet, then IR's are the way to go, short of actually mic'ing a cabinet, of course.

8. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Yeh looking at the Q Strip it looks like an awesome EQ but the cablike qualities aren't quite there to me. Haven't seen anything out of NAMM that'd knock the OmniCabSim Deluxe off my rig

Driven Crane likes this.
  9. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The Q Strip doesn't attempt to be a cabinet simulator. It is premised on the fact that there is a lot of history of bassists recording their tones fully direct (from the Tech21 product page):

"The ‘60s and ‘70s are widely recognized as the heyday for professional recording console design. The EQ and preamp sections of these near-mythical vintage consoles are highly sought after, even to this day. Some of the most iconic guitar and bass tones in the history of recorded audio were tracked “direct” straight into these consoles’ channel strips"

The OmniCabSim pedal does look like a great piece of gear for cab emulation. I like everything I've heard from it so far.

I like all-in-one solutions. The Atomic Amps Amplifire is the perfect platform for high quality amp modeling along with loadable Cab IRs (3rd party), but they seem to refuse to support bassists in any meaningful way. It is more than double the cost of the new ZOOM B3n, which fully indulges bassists, but no option for loading in 3rd party cab IRs exists (not surprising given the cost).

Point being, the technology for a relatively low-mid ($350-600) priced "does it all" bass preamp/cab sim pedal exists, but nobody has fully taken the bull by the horns, at least in a pedal that suits my personal preferences for gigging. Even the bigger players at Fractal and Line 6 Helix only tend to give a token nod to bassists once in a very great while, and for that you must pay well over $1000.

Driven Crane likes this.
  10. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    What is actually lost by not having an XLR here? Curious cause my recording gear works fine for 1/4" and XLR at line, instrument and mic levels as long as I get the source gain in the right range.

11. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    absolutely nothing really, unless you have long cable runs to other pieces of gear, in which case a differential balanced output connection is necessary due to noise problems (for example, connecting to a PA stage box via a mic cable that is 25 feet away from your pedal).

12. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    My beef with no XLR on Cab sims and preamps is this; it's usually the last item in the chain before going to FOH or the Recording Interface. It's massive value add for a lot of people who don't want to throw an additional box in the mix. It makes the last step in the chain a more versatile piece of kit. Most people utilize the DI on their amps because it's the last thing in the chain before the speaker, right?

Oh absolutely. Just agreeing with you that it's not really in the cabsim category. It sounds great, but when they try emulating the sound of a cab with the EQ it just sounds...off... Still reeaaallyy interested in it but I've got more EQ points across my chain that it'd probably do me more harm than good haha

jimfist likes this.
  13. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Ok, gotta show more love for a mainstream company making products for bass players and not just the guits. Especially for including an equal number of IRs - equality for the low end (nevermind that it works out better this way for all involved).

Great, so now we've established it doesn't super matter there isn't an XLR and that Tom still loves us. So how does this sound? For people who care about cab sims - looking at you Torpedo and Omnicabsim people - how does this compare? What about comparisons to Zoom and Line6 efforts?

DigiTechRep likes this.
  14. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Agreed on both points.

15. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Commercial User

Jul 19, 2012
    Of course I love you guys.

16. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    The IR stuff, especially two notes, is vastly superior. But, something like the Q-Tip could be a very handy too for a wider variety of things. I do love my two notes torpedo though.

Deak likes this.
  17. Tom Von Kramm

Jul 19, 2012
    Vastly superior to our IR's in the CabDryVR? How do you figure?

18. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    No, superior to eq. I love IR.

19. Tom Von Kramm

Jul 19, 2012
    Ah gotcha!

20. LowG

LowG

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm really digging the demos of this. I recently got a 'hi-fi' bass cab and while I'm loving it for a lot of applications, for some things an old-school sound is needed. I bet something like this could push me to sell off my 15" cabs and just keep the hi-fi for all gigs.