1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Digitech Digidelay switch problem...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Spoonman462, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Spoonman462

Spoonman462

Jan 20, 2008
    so for a while now my digidelay has been given me problems of not turning on/off when i step on it, and would only work if i used a pen or something to hit the switch inside manually, and even that I have to push in a few times to get to work...

Is there a simple way I can fix it myself? I've never really fixed a pedal before but is it just a simple soldering job or more complicated and should be taken to a professional?

2. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    hhmmmmmm. i'm gonna bump this in case it happens to me haha.

3. Spoonman462

Spoonman462

Jan 20, 2008
    heh, i hear this happens to Digitech pedals a lot... although i have the BSW and bass chorus and those work perfectly fine, and they're a lot older than the digidelay

4. Maybe glue a little piece of rubber or thin piece of cardboard to the bottom of the "pushing" device

5. I had this same problem with the same pedal.

What you will need to do is un-solder the little switch (obviously it's not working) - take removed switch to you're local electronics shop & ask them for something similar. Then just solder the new on back in (taking care not to touch the circuit board with the soldering iron - it will literally fry it!) - it's that simple.

I did it & now my DigiDelay is working fine.

Yes - this is a big issue with the DigiTech pedals being that they use such a silly mechanism to activate the effect; Boss' mechanism is much more foolproof.

Thanks, Simon

6. Spoonman462

Spoonman462

Jan 20, 2008
    heh, so my father got an idea to use some WD-40 on it and whaddaya know... it works now! hopefully not a temporary thing...

7. My Digidelay stopped working last weekend. I have to try that WD-40 trick too.

8. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    don't tell me that! :(. i honestly think the digidelay is seriously underrated.....but damn i dont want it to break haha.

9. thats been the crux of my digitech problems in the past. it falls out or its not long enough or its the summer solstice..

10. Digidelay has served me well many years. I really dig that pedal and think that it is really underrated.

11. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    digidelay FTW! i love how it keeps on trailing after you turn it off....i dont know many other delays that do that.

12. :eek::eek::eek: WD-40 made it work again! :hyper: Many thanks Spoonman. Not a single switching problem last night. I hope it lasts...

13. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

I know this is an old thread but I have a Digidelay by Digitech that I love that developed a switch issue. I was at a gig so what I did was put a piece of duct tape over the rubber foot on the battery cover that goes into the pedal and activates the little switch inside. The problem is that rubber piece gets compressed a bit with use and stops making solid contact every time. The piece of duct tape made up for that lost length. Today I cut a new piece of rubber from an old rubber foot and it's working great. I made it slightly longer to make sure it contacts.

The old piece of rubber can be stored in an empty nook that is on the inside of the battery cover. If you look in there you should see another piece of rubber that is along an edge. It's the same type of piece used on the switch foot. On the opposite side of the cover is an empty spot of the same type. Also, I bet if you were to switch the two pieces of rubber that would also help in a pinch since the other one hasn't been squished as much.

One thing to be careful with is how much longer you make the foot stick out-if it's too long it can push too hard on that switch and damage the switch for real (and the board).

I would think this would work on the other pedals in this series but I only know for sure with this one. It's an easy repair and basically free!

Like I said, this an old post but I bet this problem is happening right now for some people.

14. gearHed289

gearHed289

Sep 11, 2008
    Chicago area
    Head of design and sales, MT Case Co.
    Damn, that was easy! Thanks CB3000. I just put two layers of gaff tape on the tip of the rubber switch activator, and it seems to work fine now. This is on a Bass Synth Wah BTW. Like the one that this replaced, it started not turning off when I wanted it to. Now I have to check my old one and see if the same trick works...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    CB3000 likes this.
  15. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Glad it worked!