1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Digitech Grunge?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tired_Thumb, May 14, 2006.

1. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Hey folks. If you've kept track for whatever weird reason, I've been searching for the ideal pedal for playing rhythm guitar riffs, specifically for black metal type stuff (I'm not playing "bass" persay in this). 40 bucks is admittently almost nothing to drop on a stompbox, even for my college funded butt, and I've heard that this pedal actually excels in black metal, but I'm wondering what any of you think before I make a purchase. I did a search, and absolutely nothing came up on this particular pedal, so if there's no responses, I might just go ahead and buy it, but I'd like to find out if there's any second opinions. Thanks in advance!

[btw, I use a Big Muff Pi right now, and even for black metal type stuff, it sounds way too much like a classic NES game.]

2. you certainly could try it, and if you don't like it, sell it :)

3. If you go to the Musicians Friend site and look up the pedal, there is one that has sound clips for it. Rather weak sounding as I recall(i was intrested in picking up one myself).

4. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Try the Danelectro Black Fab Metal Pedal. That thing is amazing for the price, really heavy, sounds sweet, tons of gain. I've dialed in a good Manson tone with it (Beautiful People, Disoposable Teens). Not black metal I know, but it's the best description I can give. Only weakness I'd say is that it's made of plastic. But if you can step lightly and refrain from stomping, I see no reason why it wouldn't last. You can check out an audio file on the Danelectro website. http://danelectro.com/fab3.htm

5. I asked pretty much the same question a couple of months back and most people said they were rubbish pedals.
    Old thread

I don't have the digitech version but I picked up an (as far as i can tell) older DOD FX69 one on the 'bay for very very cheap, which I really like. It only does balls out distortion (as the manual says "it is not remotely clean in its lower range") and I quite like it, but its definately not for everyone this pedal.
    If I ever get a chance i'll do some samples but I can't see it happening for a few weeks.

6. EternalRest

EternalRest

Apr 22, 2005
    I had the Grunge and I didn't like it at all. Too much gain for my tastes. (even backed all the way off it is a little fuzzy) It also took me a good bit of tweaking just to get an alright tone.

It may; however, fit your needs. Just go try it out, somehow. I recently sold mine to a friend for $15.

7. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Just a side note, I accidentally left the neck pickup soloed while I turned the Muff on, and I actually captured the tone I was looking for. Took me a few seconds to figure out why all of a sudden it sounded like I wanted it to. :meh:

8. Unfortunately, you wont be able to find a good distortion for bass in that price range. A fuzz sound, yes, but you would want to have a more cleaner distorted sound. The best thing is if you can get your hands on a Prescription Electronics Depthcharge. New they run $175. There are more expensive options as well, but if you go cheaper you will be dealing with distortion unites made for guitar that will not be able to handle bass frequency.