1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Digitech (Hardwire) rehousing...switch question..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mmbongo, Jul 2, 2012.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Well, I'm feeling brave! I think I may be ready to try my first pedal rehousing. I'm darn handy with a soldering gun so I'm not worried about most of it, except the switch. Since it's a Digitech pedal, it does not have the standard footswitch. Can that little switch they used be replaced with a standard footswitch? If so, what type would I need?

2. Jordan S.

Jordan S.

Mar 25, 2012
    Blacksheep Effects Pedals
    Huh, no replies. Did you end up doing it?

Without having a Digitech pedal to look at, I'm assuming it's theres momentary switch in the pedal (like a boss pedal) that's controls a relay or JFET switching etc, or something similar. So you should be fine replacing that switch with a standard momentary footswitch. Thats about as good as I can do without having anymore info.

3. ^ I assume they have JFET switching, so if you find the two leads that go to the "stomping pad thing" you can just wire them to a momentary SPST NO footswitch.

4. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Branson, MO
    Bump this thread up. I'm wanting to rehouse a hardwire cm2! I've had pedals rehoused before just wondering if it's easily done.

5. sfxster

sfxster

Apr 12, 2011
    Chile
    Probably a noob question but why rehousing?

6. yaksonator

Apr 16, 2011
    Branson, MO
    Customization, and some rehousings can give you more space on the pedal board.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I chickened out and never did it. Mostly because of the switch. The CM-2 is a great pedal, that's the one I was going to rehouse too!

And yeah..as to why I was going to do it..space. Hardwire pedals are huge. I also found that since the footswitch was so big I was stepping on my Hardwire pedals along with whatever pedal was next to them.

8. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    bump. Anyone else have luck with a CM-2 rehouse?

9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    I know that I could rehouse mine but its enclosure doesn't bother me so i'm not going to bother.

IMO, all you'd need is a momentary SPST switch to do it...and the enclosure of course.

10. jumblemind

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    Do you experience any POPs when you turn yours on/off? Mine does, usually both ways, and I wonder if a new switch would help that, or if it's just the nature of this pedal circuit.

11. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    I don't recall mine doing that, but i'd have to check again to find out if it does.

12. jumblemind

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    Going to test this out. Have a couple of enclosures and switch on the way. Haven't taken the Hardwire all the way apart yet, but the board looks tiny relative to the pedal, so I'm hoping to fit it pretty easily into a 1290. Have a 1590b coming, too, just in case.

13. yaksonator

Apr 16, 2011
    Branson, MO
    If you do please post some progress or finished product?!

14. jumblemind

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    Took another step inward and realized the board is a bit crazy. All surface mounted, there's ribbon connectors, a lot of the circuits I can't even see on the board, and it has the tiniest capacitors and resistors in some places. Thought I could cut the board up and rearrange, but looking less likely now. The surface mounted pots connected to the main board by a ribbon are looking problematic, too. I have a few days to contemplate and research before the housings get here.

CM-2_guts1_zpsc4f87bb2.

15. G.Bisson

G.Bisson

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    looks like the circuit board takes up the full width of the enclosure, so there is no space to downsize to a more compact sized enclosure.

16. jumblemind

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    Hey johnk, any words of wisdom? I have some enclosures now, but I don't think it's going to work. At this point, I would have to get a box that can map to the exact layout of the current one. That might be worth it, I suppose, to at least improve the switch on my unit.

17. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    well, since the circuitboard is so big, you''ll need an enclosure that will accommodate it.
    if it were me, i'd unsolder the factory in/out jacks and install some switchraft ones. then I think that all you'd need is a momentary on/off for the bypass switch.

18. jumblemind

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    I think this may have been an exercise in futility. This board is too long even for a 1590bb (the third box that is now sitting empty and useless on my bench). I'd have to go up to at least a 1790, and that's just getting too big for the Nano.